TiddlyHost file size reduction (encryption removed)?

I occasionally look at the file size of my TiddlyWiki hosted on TiddlyHost. I use the TiddlyWiki external core option. Two days ago my total used was around 24 MB with a wiki size of 12 MB. Now, it’s half that (12 MB total and 6 MB used). I looked at my TiddlyWiki and it doesn’t look like I lost any data, but I can’t really tell. Has this happened to anyone else before? Also, what’s the largest amount of space I can use on TiddlyHost before having to migrate to a different option?

It may infinity, but I don’t know

You could open a ticket on github, it’s more likely that simon will see your message on there : Sign in to GitHub · GitHub

I don’t know what is the upper limit of tiddlyhost, but currently I’m at 30MB with 79 wikis. I try to keep the storage size to a minimum so I use the external core setup + the external plugin by cdruan

1 Like

Yea, I logged into another computer today and my total storage size is at 28MB now. I think it had something to do with removing the encryption password from my wiki. I’m guessing encrypting it increases the wiki in size.

1 Like

I can confirm: I just converted an old collaboration project (public wiki with encryption) to private — and removed encryption — and file size went down by 5MB.

(I added the parenthetical phrase to thread title to clarify the theme, since some might think the question is how to reduce file size, rather than unexpected file size reduction.)

For what it’s worth, pretty much my whole life work is on tiddlyhost. For that reason I find it entirely worthwhile to support TiddlyHost, and @simon’s great work, with a monthly payment. With the backup trail — which keeps 100 prior versions, so the footprint of a daily-use 10MB wiki is 1GB — I’m at 5GB (!).

(Still, to be a good TiddlyHost citizen I should go in and clear out some cruft — a few cloned projects generated to try big experiments, which are no longer necessary. Presumably the backups for a wiki are removed, eventually, if the wiki directory itself is deleted.)

1 Like

Yea, I am really grateful for TiddlyHost. I subbed as well. It’s a great service! Have you noticed any slowing down of your wiki? Do you have one 50 MB wiki or is it split over many?

I have many wikis, and quite a few of them have the long backup trails, which accounts for most of the storage I’m occupying.

Many of my TiddlyHost projects are served up for use by students or other web visitors. For that reason, I try to keep my projects lean and single-purpose. While I do have one very large personal/household wiki, I find it’s not difficult to have multiple wikis for different purposes — especially when my routine tasks for those different purposes, and the audience with whom I. share them — tend not to overlap too much. It’s true that I have more work to do aronud version upgrades, etc., because of the many-file structure. But it also suits me: There are plugins that I only use in certain domains/interactions. My projects stay responsive by not having to load up one central wiki with every plugin and bit of code that interacts meaningfully with only a small subset of tiddlers.