Tiddly Desktop windows installation blocked by anti-virus

Haven’t tried TiddlyDesktop for a long time and wanted to have a look at it again.

However, my anti-virus really doesn’t like me clicking on the nw.exe file and quarantined it before requiring a restart for removal

Behavior Blocker detected suspicious behavior “FirewallModification” of C:\Users…

This is for the Windows 64 version/18th release.

Any advice?

Thanks
Jon

1 Like

Some malware may install nw.exe to aid in their hack, if you have it from a safe source I believe there is a way to indicate its safe. Have a look for that method. Is that windows 11?, I have it running localy.

Thanks for the advice, I’d manage to buy pass the normal Windows pop up by running it anyway. I’ve just tried adding the file to the exclusion list in the anti-virus (Emsisoft) but it still won’t run it. Laptop running windows 10 pro.

Just found there’s an option in the anti-virus to report the file as a ‘false detection’ so I’ll do that.

FYI in the past I recall seeing a way to indicate on given files they were intentionally installed rather than just “magically appearing”, rather that more safely an installer program, placed the file there, something an interactive user installed.

• Sometimes an accidental false positive can occur with a string in a file matches a virus signature but these are increasingly unlikely.
  • In recent years I have see Windows complain about executables that people have used for malware, but not themself malware. this makes it hard for the legitimate use especially when deploying to naive users, get such a warning.

Regardless be careful, such as do checksums test etc… reinstall from appropriate sources etc…

Received email this morning from Emsisoft after reporting false positive yesterday (Sunday) and file will no longer be blocked after next online update. This has already happened, so quite impressed with that and tiddlydesktop now installed.

2 Likes