Three Steps to Build Your Personal Knowledge Management (PKM) System

The author in this article motioned TiddlyWiki as a tool for PKM.

3 steps to build your personal knowledge management system (able.ac)

That’s a really good article. Thanks for sharing!

If I were to ask the author to consider one thing, I’d suggest “Choose the Right System(s) for Your Needs”.

For my needs, there is no such thing as one right “system” (assuming “system” means “tool”), no one system that offers everything I need. Mine is an ecosystem (an arsenal of multiple “systems”, aka an arsenal of “tools”, aka a “super-system”), each part of that ecosystem working well with any other part, or at least so good at a particular task that it is worth having/using.

Regardless, a really good and well-written article.

1 Like

It is a good article but for me it’s preaching to the converted, given a life long interest in complex systems, working in ICT a some what flaky memory, I have lived with PKM’s since late high school. The article favors those starting on this journey and does it well. Thank for sharing @Mohammad.

For me the last heading says it all;

Develop a knowledge management system that will enhance lifelong learning

• because my own PKM’s have supported my life long learning in both my Carrer and personal interest in diverse fields. I am often asked “how do you know so much about ‘XYZ’?”, the answer is because it’s an interest, one I actively build into my Personal Knowledge Management system(s).

However I would add to this above statement another;

Choose a platform on which your Knowledge Management System can evolve over a lifetime.

• This is why TiddlyWiki has being my friend, for more than a decade.
  • @Charlie_Veniot I totally agree with this approach and continue to practice this approach, but would add that given the versatility of TiddlyWiki and now my deeper level and knowledge of TiddlyWiki, I often “harvest systems found from diverse sources” and implement those systems (or the parts I like) on top of the TiddlyWiki platform.
  • I am careful not to compromise what I learn from diverse sources when transitioning them into tiddlywiki and do my best to amplify them as the result of the synergy with other “systems”.
  • No, its not perfect, but always evolving, and I like it that way :nerd_face:
1 Like

That’s a fair point for the great majority I’m sure, but that very evolution has me locked in on 5.2.3. It isn’t perfect, but it is closer to perfect, for me, than previous iterations and newer iterations.

To me, there is a sweet spot of features which has me using TiddlyWiki and using the rest of the arsenal for other things that are best done with the other tools.

As TiddlyWiki starts getting features that these other tools do so well, TiddlyWiki becomes much less attractive to me and has me sticking even more so with 5.2.3 (and when that’s no longer working, then I’ll have to decide on a newer TW, or something different altogether.

For me to use something new or altogether different, it really has to solve for me more problems than it creates.

Since this refers to an article, I’ll mention that the one thing that I haven’t found a satisfactory way to do with TW is to save articles (including images). There are ways to do it that are bloated, ways that don’t save images and/or formatting, or ways that take 20 minutes or more to complete the capture.

What I want is something that works like Zotero (except Zotero also captures bloat) or Evernote clipper. Something quick, that captures only essential formatting (bold/italic/header), and preserves images.

1 Like

Mark I suppose it depends on what it means to “save articles”, but I can’t help but feel there are ways to do this. Perhaps you can raise or point to a thread on this because I would like to see if we can address this.

The thing is TiddlyWiki is a platform, maintains backward compatibility and most of what your wiki is, is what you build. Most change are in my view empowering, but if you want to keep it simple you can ignore most of the changes. So far the only way to see “altogether different” in tiddlywiki was when we went from 2.x to 5.x.x

Of course I respect your personal choice but I can’t see this being applicable here.

• Although I admit I may be biased because I like stretching the limits, the shiny new etc…
1 Like

It isn’t a personal choice, it is about managing the challenges of cognitive disability, made worse by cognitive overload, over-stimulation, and attention regulation difficulties… i.e., I’m just trying to not fall into dysfunction, and I"m not finding it easy…

I feel the weight of all the new stuff, and trying to ignore everything new in the tool might be a manageable challenge, but then the documentation and discussions are getting overwhelmingly cluttered with too much stuff. Too many features that I don’t feel comfortable with.

There is nothing here that can be accommodated. That aside, I’m not going to convince anybody of the problems I feel are in the making: scope creep and unclear project vision (things that really give me the willies.)

I find the whole idea of .bib files appealing. As in I don’t have to reinvent the wheel when it comes to storing metadata about a particular source. But yes I don’t see an obvious way to store such .bib files in TiddlyWiki. But with tools such as Zotero it is not a huge issue because if you give it the right chunk of bibliography information it will return the source you are looking for. And often this is either a DOI or WorldCat or ISBN.

Either way I don’t worry too much as long as I store such information somewhere

I still use TiddlyWikiClassic in addition to TW5. Still the question of developing context within an individual wiki is the same, although the more expansive filters in TW5 do make this easier. But at the end of the day it’s still on you as the TiddlyWiki author to organize everything in a coherent manner