The essential editions of TiddlyWiki

Quick answer. Not thought through fully.

I think what you pointing at is a potential systematic approach to edition making???

I do think that maintenance is a basic issue in all this.

I’m not convinced, yet, about how many “devs” want to create that much effort to deal with?

I am in no way against the idea. But in actual end-usage for universal use cross-platform/browser variants, it looks like some ongoing maintenance work would be needed for it to work properly long-term … :smiley: !

Just a comment, TT

More positively the Plugin Library system of TW is excellent and could support your aims?

TT

It is the library mechanisium I mean. With supporting tools, its enthusiasts, possibly subject matter experts would be the designers not only devs.

The idea is actualy to reduce maintanence by delegating plugin installs and updates more towards the edition user. Look at my current POC and imagin the optional plugins selected by the edition designer remaind only those that are working withbthe edition. Or the libraries used to get the latest published.

Let’s take an example.

Say I made a Screenplay tool in TW. I share it but then other users have a zillion issues on it’s cross-browser behaviour. Am I bound to solve issues nothing to do with my use case?

To get to the point: Your model needs, I think, maybe, thoughts about on-going support provision?

Saying a mechanism exists for it is different than provision of it???

Just a comment, TT

I know (think) that @pmario, despite having made incredible tools for TW is (rightly) reluctant to get into full-on 24/7 support.

The somewhat veiled side of your intent on “editions”, must, shirley, imply on-going support to be viable??

Just a comment, TT

@TiddlyTweeter
I see. We also have another problem. How do the new user find available editions. Community Editions . Several of the links do not work. Cardo, Drift and TiddlyResearch.

2 Likes

If an edition is popular it would be fine to seek community help. If a private edition we can leave that to the Designer but it is fine to set the level of expectation for support as designer.

In a perfect world they would have support and guarantees but this is free and open source.

But you raise a valid issue which we could consider more.

The issue with “open source” is it is free. In the sense that the creator gives it away.

But do you want spend the rest of your life supporting something you gave away for nothing?

My point: how will you get an income from all this?

Just a comment
TT

IMO open source is free like in “free speech” and not like in “free beer”.

Ha! Brilliant!

But how would you make a living from starting with it?

TT

@TiddlyTweeter Support , add-ons, fitting it for a purpose - offer cloud solution, content. Writing book or booklets about how to etc. Teaching.
You will often see - some free offeriings, a little more - for higher price - and a deluxe solution.

It depends on the software and the license.
You can find lots of examples searching your question. Also youtube has lots about the subject.

1 Like

@Birthe has foreshadowed the possibilities and I have being thinking about it for some time as I currently have no income. Add implementing as an enterprise version or accept commissions for branding and adding bespoke features.

However I am not sure you are obliged to support a free edition, although one may endeavour to I don’t think you must. TiddlyWiki in particular has a lot of supporting documentation and as long as it contains enough info for educated self support you are not giving someone a liability to use.

We could include a tool to export content to csv as an exit strategy like google does.

@TW_Tones
Could it be an idea to create something for the rising amount of people working freelance. There must be some common ground, or? When starting up, not many will be able to afford the products from the big companies.

1 Like

@Birthe I hope this is helpful:

You can find TiddlyResearch at https://github.com/postkevone/tiddlyresearch/blob/master/index.html. Download the index.html file and open it. It’s TiddlyResearch.

But you are right the link on Tiddlywiki.com is not working and needs an update.

The Drift Link is working.
Download the index.html file and open it. It’s Drift.

You can find Cardo at https://dyumnin.com/Cardo.html. The original http://cardo.wiki of it’s crator David Szego hasen’t been working for a while now. I wonder what happenend. He did an awesome job with Cardo. It is a favorite of mine and I am trying to update it, but ran into an Javascript Error with the 5.3.3. core. A problem I’m trying to solve with a little help of our community friends - hopefully. :thinking:

(post deleted by author)

(post deleted by author)

@Xrizzy Thank you for finding the links and especially your explanation how to download the file. Always remembering that github is not newbie friendly.

David Szego died!
He made an updated version just before he died but that also had a javascript error. I found it on Wayback Machine.

Best of luck updating Cardo. Cardo is really something special and keeping it alive and used is a good way to remember David Szego and his hard work creating this masterpiece.

2 Likes

I was afraid that that’s the case. Now I have to try even harder. Did you know him personally?

It’s not. But I’m learning. Mostly by try and error.