The Cheapness Of Browsers

Browsers let you set their “Downloads Directory” …

… effectively that mechanism can enable multiple places to save TWs without need of a specific saving add-on.
Either through variant browsers (Vivaldi, Edge, Chrome, Chromium, Firefox etc) OR variant profiles (MyFF-1, MyFF-2, MyFF-3 etc).

I’m interested in how you think about your browser use for TiddlyWiki; especially in relation to saving.

Over coffee.

TT

I wish they followed the same rules on mobile. AFAIK, the chrome browsers won’t download over a file with the same name, and in addition change the prefix of the file name. And they don’t let you set the download directory or use a pick-file dialog.

1 Like

I did not know that! If so, it sucks. Makes something simplish complicated. Whatever happened to “universal?”

TT

It’s meaningless anyway in a multiverse. Myriad universes each with its own version of you, me, pi, and Raspberry Jam.

But to your OP… I don’t care how it works, it just has to work, 100%, as seamlessly as possible. One-time tricky setup is fine, too, as long as thereafter it’s forget-able.

Right now, each of my wikis uses a unique FF profile (like your example). The profile is generated via a batch file which looks for it first and generates it if not found. They’re single-file wikis served/saved via TiddlyServer.

I’m considering switching to WebDav at some point.

I miss the simplicity of pre-apocalypse single-file saving, but… we are where we are.

1 Like

UPDATE.

I spent some time on Android phone trying various combos on saving from a few browsers. They all failed in that the OS will not, it appears, let you overwrite an already saved file :frowning: any way you try it.

I also checked my Chromebook, which has a closely related OS to Android. On Chromebook you can overwrite already saved files.

TT

Some platforms badly need a Hutterite Mile or two …

– HUTTERITE MILE, 16 Horsepower

If I recall pre-tiddlyfox apocalypse TiddlyFox demanded a browser add On in each browser, and you had to set saving for each wiki, Not Timimi requires an addon in each browser and a one time local install (per computer) and it is the same or better than pre-apocalypse.

so what are you missing @CodaCoder ?

@TW_Tones
CodaCoder wrote pre-apocalypse, not browser or tiddlyfox apocalypse. It is a question about age.
When I started using TW, no tiddlyfox were needed. When needed we got tiddlyfox. At times it stopped working, but a solution was always quickly found. That worked for a long time - before we needed to set saving for each wiki. When that did not work anymore, we got Timimi - and other solutions. Timimi has worked for years now.
Did we ever have as many solutions for saving as we have now, no matter how we chose to run tiddlywiki?

I do remember, I just felt panic rising each time above happened - but only just- then a solution was ready. It is a testament to developers in the community and a fantastic commitment for the benefit of all.

Panic were mostly mentioned in the group, when people returned to using tiddlywiki after longer time absent.

Saving was not the only complain and panic. Remember when we changed from TWclassic to TW5 a lot of complaints about missing a clipper. It did not take @buggyj long before we had tiddlyclip. Working even better, I might add.

Maybe we need a Do not panic button with a popup containing Eric Shulmans explanation of how to use the download saver in a sensible way.
Either a new solution will be created for saving - or we will get used to the download saver.
Giving up on tiddlywiki NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

1 Like

<button>Don't Panic</button>

Snag_5b9e9ed

2 Likes

Rclone is really easy – just one executable!

rclone serve webdav ~/data/Wikis --addr :8080 --vfs-cache-mode full

The problem with almost all the saving mechanisms, is that they’re all 3rd party. There’s nothing officially sanctioned, which raises doubts in the minds of users what they’re supposed to do. This is what the other info management programs do – they offer a specific solution for each platform, with each solution looking very much like the other solutions, eliminating ambiguity.

2 Likes