Tana: A New Note Taking and Graph-Based App

What we can learn from Tana?
(I mean what nice features you see in Tana and wish to have in TiddlyWiki)

It has

• Supertags
  • Tana graphs
  • Flow (find, filter, focus)
  • Todos
  • Daily note template
  • Digital garden note writing pipeline
  • Decision journal
  • Travel
2 Likes

A Tana user will only have to tell new users to visit the site and create an account. New TiddlyWiki users need to choose and set up a saving mechanism.

Another aspect is the modern looking UI. TiddlyWiki lacks beautiful themes.

Professor, seems like RemNote+Trello+GraphQL. Overhyped in its ads, it’s not all that, and $10/month :face_with_monocle:

3 Likes

The syntax “for” equivalent to listwidget.

Its for Arcadia would be something like <$list filter="[tag[Arcadia]]" /> in TW.

Isn’t Tana just a Notion clone? I fail to see any major differences.

Why do the call it OS? Operating system, would be wrong if that what they mean.

Marketting gimmick.

But they probably mean “you do not need any other app. Tana is the only app that you need.” Hence the OS.

That is my point, its Hype and marketing speak that does not reflect the correct meaning. An OS/Operating system is the software between the hardware and the applications that run on it. Then if Tana is an OS, because they tell us so, I pity the naïve who now have little chance of working out what an OS is because there are fakes out there, introduce by people who should know better or don’t. :nerd_face:

Its a not even a good metaphor.

I think we can learn from it to improve Our Cute TiddlyWiki.
Don’t you think? I like some of the Tana UI, The meetings template, and the Weekly interstitial template, …

So, we can learn from others :wink:

3 Likes

Tana’s most intriguing feature that interests me is its concept of super tags which, from what I am hearing, would allow for the creation of ontologies that enable more sophisticated and intelligent surfacing of past knowledge/nodes and eventually support the creation of an AI assistant inside the tool. Which makes me wonder: should we consider supporting ontologies in TiddlyWiki? :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s a metaphor that is being used a lot by Notion in its prolific outdoor adverts: your OS for life or For all your life’s work, etc. I guess it works for the target audience :man_shrugging:

Yep, and that UVP is doomed to fail anyway because most users I’ve surveyed on this matter (100+) don’t really care about reducing their SaaS subscription footprint.

Can you describe super tags enought for us to understand or emulate them?

CortexFutura has a video demonstrating the basics of the concept here:

1 Like

Here’s another video explaining the concept.

The high level impression I’ve got from scrubbing through some of the videos is that each tag is associated with a template for viewing/editing entities of that type. It’s an interesting idea, and would be straightforward to experiment with it in TiddlyWiki.

Does anyone know whether or how it supports transclusion?

3 Likes

According to CortexFutura, each node can be referenced and embedded elsewhere using a special syntax. So I’d say yes.

I think what I have seen of these supertags is quite elegant, but its not something difficult to replicate in tiddlywiki, we just need the dialogue to appear to the right to handle any defined features. With tiddlywiki you could also have supertags operate from another tag like field rather than overuse the tag field. Using a view template that responds to a tag by looking up information stored in the corresponding tag tiddler (or a system equivalent) would allow details defining the properties eg additional fields, associated with the tag to be found.

Whilst you could replicate the behaviour of super tags and extend it even further in tiddlywiki, you can introduce even more features. This may in some ways be why we don’t have supertags (yet), because supper tags are merely a small subset of what you can build using the same methods.

My “reimagine tags” package I have shared a number of times, adds a range of features to the tag drop down. In one case new tiddlers can be created based on a template assigned to that tag, from the tag dropdown.

As I stated above “we just need the dialogue to appear to the right to handle any defined features”, tiddlywiki needs a page or tiddler element or popup/modal, in which to build such features. Its a need for the user interface element, to approach the examples given on the Tana Videos, that is a minor, solvable gap I can see.

• I have seen opportunities like this in the past, but they would benefit from becoming an optional standard, even if delivered by plugin, so the community can build on and share the same mechanism.

• I have recently being building some alternative uses of the preview pain in Edit mode, but have also considered being able to divide the current tiddler view template to display, on wide screen desktops, an additional vertical or horizontal pane within the tiddler, that could be used to “host” the dialogue needed to manage a “supertag” dialogue and more in a tiddler.

• Of course the cascade features would make this easy with an alternative View Template Body, but unless it is a de facto standard, once again it would be a bespoke solution and unlikely to get any momentum.

It is interesting! And I’m sure TW could do it (basically extra option under a tag?? Yes?).

Just personally I’d like to comment that I doubt it would add much to end usability.
Interrogation of free-form text seems much more interesting to me than yet more layers of formal organization.

Just a hippie comment :slight_smile:
TT

@TW_Tones I has your tags thing. It is good!

1 Like