Tags within titlebar won't display dropdown

I’m trying to (re)implement this simple idea: IFF my tiddler’s title has been used as a tag, then have that title show up AS a tag pill (with dropdown behavior) where the title would normally be displayed. (I also like to add a number inside the tag pill to show how many tag-children are there, but that’s not part of the problem here.)

Cascade under $:/tags/ViewTemplateTitleFilter makes this super-easy now – at least in theory.

But displaying a tag in the title area causes the dropdown to be hidden.

Try visiting this tiddler:
https://tiddlywiki.com/#%24%3A%2Fcore%2Fui%2FViewTemplate%2Ftitle%2Fdefault

and replace its contents with <<tag>>.

Navigate to a non-system tiddler to see the problem

Screenshot shows a slight shadow across the width of dropdown area, showing that it would have appeared, but is somehow prevented:

Anyone see how the dropdown can be liberated, here?

Many thanks!

This is not an answer to your question, but a workaround:

1. You may have the info button in your viewtoolbar to click and see draggable list of tiddlers tagged with your tiddler
  2. You may tag a tiddler with itself.
  3. Use Node explorer from Shiraz to list the nodes of your tiddler (tagging, links, transcluded,…) below tiddler body

Side note: personally, I think using tags in title bar is not semantic!

1 Like

Thanks, Mohammad.

I’m aware that getting a dropdown of tagged tiddlers is “only a couple clicks away”… For routine actions, sometimes “only a couple clicks” is exasperatingly not convenient.

When I want to reorder the children tiddlers of, say, authors (a tiddler that probably includes either a dynamic table or filtered list of tiddlers so tagged), the most natural place to do that work is in that very “authors” tiddler. (I’m not trying to get TO one of the children, which I can do from Node Explorer; I’m trying to interact with the tag pill for reordering its list.) I already have the tiddler open, and there’s the title up there being… opaquely un-clickable (or clickable as a link to itself). This is a waste of interface opportunity, in my view.

Displaying the title as a “tag pill” is not the same as “putting tags in the title bar”; it’s not the tags OF this tiddler that I’m talking about, but ability to access everything about this tiddler’s child-list in a way that tag pills already enable perfectly. I often end up navigating to a child-tiddler (in order to interact with the tag-pill already visible there for the parent tiddler) which feels just silly.

Ideally, the tag-list dropdown from title bar would look a bit different from a tag. But for now, I’m going for the functionality, worrying about the css later. And so long as nothing can drop down from the title bar, this seems to be a strange limitation.

Does anyone understand what accomplishes this masking of dropdowns initiated from the title element? Obviously the buttons to the right of the title drop down successfully, and I can even make a ViewTemplate element with <> and order it above or below the title bar, and it behaves fine. I looked for a z-index in the css, but couldn’t find anything promising.

-Springer

First, instead of modifying $:/core/ui/ViewTemplate/title/default, you can add a new cascade item:

• Create a tiddler (e.g., $:/config/ViewTemplateTitleFilters/tag)
  • Give it a tag of $:/tags/ViewTemplateTitleFilter
  • Set the text to: [tagging[]limit[1]then[$:/custom/ViewTemplate/title/showtag]]
  • Add a custom field list-before with a blank value
  • Create another tiddler named $:/custom/ViewTemplate/title/showtag
  • Set the text to <<tag>>

Next, create a tiddler (e.g., TitleTagStyles) tagged with $:/tags/Stylesheet, containing:

.tc-titlebar { overflow:visible; }
.tc-titlebar .tc-tag-list-item .tc-drop-down { font-size:initial; }

The first line fixes the display problem you reported.
The second line adjusts the tag dropdown font size so it’s not huge like the title text.

Lastly, to permit drag reordering within the tag dropdown, you will need to enable
$:/ControlPanel > Settings > Tiddler Titles > “Display tiddler titles as links”

-e

1 Like

@Springer the feature you want is one I wanted a long time ago and I created a solution, in part, it needed a tag pill that did not use the tags title. It is so fundamental in my view something like this should be in the core.

It is called tagging-here Inside my reimaging tags bundle reimagin-tags.json (16.6 KB)

I introduce a second toolbar below the current one (using $:/tags/ViewToolbar2) and include what you are asking for with the macros under the prefix $:/PSaT/tagging-here, specifically the tiddler $:/PSaT/tagging-here/pill has the tag $:/tags/ViewToolbar2, but from TW V5.2.3 we also can use the $:/tags/ViewTemplate/Subtitle to add it to the subtitle.

• A quick check on tiddlywiki.com shows its working.
  • You could just extract the required tiddlers or make use of the whole package that extends the tag pill a lot. solving other issues

Eric, this was the key thing to fix. The rest (about using cascade, and how to make a tag show the number of things so tagged) is already solved; my quick “see the effect at tiddlywiki this way” stuff was intended to isolate my encounter with what felt like a mystery-obstacle in the core.

Still, your careful step-by-step response is so helpful to the forum. Sometimes I find that a quick answer to someone’s question presupposes stuff I don’t know. Future visitors to this thread will benefit from your clear tutorial in how to leverage cascade in order to modify how the title appears.

-Springer

@TW_Tones, I should not be surprised that you are ahead of the game on this issue! Oddly enough, I had already imported your reimagin-tags bundle on another wiki, and played around with its extended features for tag drop-down behavior… all without noticing your new elements in the toolbar, and related available ViewTemplate elements.

Best regards!!

-Springer

2 Likes