Tags with Namespace

Reading the article Addicted to Block References
MS Office vs. Roam vs. Obsidian (zsolt.blog)
I realised Raom/Obsidian both support tags with name space like

• #Commerce/CustomerExperience
  • #Logistics/RoutingAndScheduling

Then both have tools to list tags, and namespace and see all pages under a namespace, and tag.

While I appreciate the flexibility in Tiddlywiki to use a tiddler or a name as tag (no need to add #) but I have not seen the namespace for tags like Obsidian/Roam! Albeit I think this can be easily implemented in TiddlyWiki.
What do you think? Have you seen such ant tools to deal with namespace for tags?

I think namespace in tags is a good idea, one can use the same tag for different categories, e.g. the same name in different name space!

I use custom tags very often. One thing I use them for is to filter them and pull them all together in one tiddler.

1 Like

As you know tags them self can already be tagname or $:/tagname and the second is in the system tag namespace. These are in fact two different tags.

• However they are treated slightly differently with or without the prefix
  • I do not use Raom/Obsidian so perhaps you can explain the functionality of tags with namespace?
  • You could do one of the following;
    • Just use tags as you gave as examples, use normal tagging features but then provide a set of tools to search/filter etc… them taking account of the namespace #Commerce
    • Use an alternative tag field for each “namespace”

I am just not sure what actual advantage you get?

1 Like

Namespace allow you another way to categorize information!

imo we use namespaces all the time. $:/tags/… is the namespace for system-tags.
$:/plugin/… is the namespace for plugins and so on.

So you can create your own namespaces on the fly if you want. this/is/my/namespace … done.

You can use the tree macro to visualize it.
The tree macro is used in the right sidebar: More → Explorer tab

So I don’t understand your problem.

1 Like

There is no problem. I just raised this to see how others use the namespace for tagging in their daily note taking with TiddlyWiki.

tree does not allow to customize the items output except one hack it! BUT yes it is a potential macro for working with namespace in tags.

Yea, I did “hack it” some long time ago, to make it more customizable. … It would definitely need a bit more love.

IMO @twMat made a nice macro CSS combination that allows to show nested lists as a directory strutcure. … I can’t remember the name. So @twMat can you provide a link for some visual inspiration.

1 Like