Tags are placed on tiddlers (thus modify them) what is it when you place a tiddlers title in another list?

As per this thread title;

Tags are placed on tiddlers (thus modify them)

• Think of them as gift tags on a present.
  • By definition they are placed on the present/tiddler

What is it when you place a tiddlers title in another list?

• This is necessary if we want to classify shadow tiddlers without touching them
  • You would drag or add a title to such a group, then that groups would list all tiddlers in it.

Question

Since I am thinking of building such a solution, I wonder what would be a good word for such an organisation / relationship? That is rather than a tag this would be a blank. and like tagging we would be blanking a tiddler with this mechanisium?

I will a give an example shortly, but I don’t want to influence you.

Surely this would be “listing”—with the end result that the tiddler is listed. (May or may not involve the “list” field.)

That has being one of my ideas so far, but we have tagged, tagging and tag then a tag tiddler.

• Does it make sence to have listed, listing and list with list tiddlers?
    • My only concern is it overlaps too much with more general use of these terms and the use of the list field on tags, which can change with drag and drop.
  • Chat GPT 's best suggestion may be Register, registering, and registered, with a registration tiddler.
  • Index is a root word already in use.

I do not want to prejudice more ideas but hopefully this will inspire, or some of these may seem better?

c/o Chat GPT and some guided questioning;

• Note that I have highlighted the items where all three uses have completely different words.

Here are the nouns, adjectives, and verbs for each term in the extended list, where applicable:

1. Group

• Noun: Group
    • Adjective: Grouped
    • Verb: Group
  2. Set

• Noun: Set
    • Adjective: Set
    • Verb: Set
  3. List

• Noun: List
    • Adjective: Listed
    • Verb: List
  4. Collection all different words

• Noun: Collection
    • Adjective: Collected
    • Verb: Collect
  5. Array

• Noun: Array
    • Adjective: Arrayed
    • Verb: Array
  6. Cluster

• Noun: Cluster
    • Adjective: Clustered
    • Verb: Cluster
  7. Assembly all different words

• Noun: Assembly
    • Adjective: Assembled
    • Verb: Assemble
  8. Batch

• Noun: Batch
    • Adjective: Batched
    • Verb: Batch (less common, used mainly in specific contexts like “batch processing”)
  9. Bundle

• Noun: Bundle
    • Adjective: Bundled
    • Verb: Bundle
  10. Series

• Noun: Series
    • Adjective: Serial
    • Verb: None directly applicable (used adjectivally in contexts like “serial publication”)
  11. Assortment all different words

• Noun: Assortment
    • Adjective: Assorted
    • Verb: Assort
  12. Compilation all different words

• Noun: Compilation
    • Adjective: Compiled
    • Verb: Compile
  13. Aggregate

• Noun: Aggregate
    • Adjective: Aggregated
    • Verb: Aggregate
  14. Conglomeration all different words

• Noun: Conglomeration
    • Adjective: Conglomerated
    • Verb: Conglomerate
  15. Ensemble

• Noun: Ensemble
    • Adjective: None directly applicable as a form of ensemble
    • Verb: None directly applicable
  16. Gathering all different words

• Noun: Gathering
    • Adjective: Gathered
    • Verb: Gather
  17. Aggregation all different words

• Noun: Aggregation
    • Adjective: Aggregated
    • Verb: Aggregate

Note that not all these words are commonly used as verbs or adjectives, and some uses are more specialized or context-dependent.

[Updated]

Anbother I like;

• Verb: Classify - To arrange or organize by classes; to categorize or sort; e.g., “The librarian classifies the books according to genre.”
  • Noun: Classification - The action or process of classifying something according to shared qualities or characteristics; e.g., “The classification of organisms into kingdoms is fundamental in biology.”
  • Adjective: Classified - Assigned to a category, often used for information that is officially restricted or secret; e.g., “The documents were marked as classified.”

Perhaps Group, grouping and grouped?

Hi @TW_Tones the core already uses the terminology “listed” in the sense you describe. As @etardiff points out, this terminology is reflected in the core operator names, and so is not something that we can change retrospectively.

Yes, thanks, that is why I am searching for another set of words, although I wondered if a listing field made sense in contrast to list field. For the case where a list tiddler is listing other tiddlers. When we use the operator listed we can give the fieldname listed[listing] or in English is the title listed in a listing (field). It may make sense to then have a listing[] operator which returns the titles of tiddlers listing the current titles (defaults to the listing field but can be set to list).

• But yes it seems too close.

Disclaimer: as a non native english speaker, my vocabulary is limited.

@TW_Tones I don’t like this first proposition of “blank”, because:

• it’s already used in is[blank] filter syntax, with another meaning
  • with my limited knowledge of English, “blank” approximately means “empty”, quite the opposite of what you propose to use it for.

Among your propositions, I like “collections” better, in part because of the derived words “to collect / collected / collects / collecting”. “Collection” also used in some programming languages with the meaning of “a dynamic ordered set of heterogeneous objects”, which sounds appropriate to me (or does it sound appropriate because I already use Collections with this meaning? :thinking:).

Fred

You do pretty well @tw-FRed with your English.

This is my error, blank is intended as a word you replace with another, a bit like a space or empty. So Sorry.

• There used to be a game show called “Blankity blanks”, where the contestants had to fill in the blanks. Usually letters in words. I should not have used such a “culturally specific reference” :frowning_face:.
  • Exactly, perhaps I should have used [word]ing, [word]ed etc…

Thanks for you well considered suggestion of collection.

Collection is good, because we can have a collection of anything.

1 Like

What a good place for a metasyntactic variable!

(ducking out and leaving very quickly…)

And so you should cheaky :rofl:

Given two common names for this organizational method(?), we could call it tagging when a tidlers title is added to the target tiddler, and labelling when the target tiddler is added to other tiddlers?

Label, labels, labelling, labelled, etc.

Kind of like food labels as well :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

All,
Great to hear your ideas and preferences. We now have a reasonable set from which to choose, but I would like to keep it (the topic) open for a while longer because some reader may get inspiration from the above content.

• Because there is an argument that more than one of these is valid, it makes me think how hard would it be to either provision more than one or even a mechanisium to use your own, this may be necessary for non-English users.

@Justin_H Label, labels, labelling, labelled is a good one. I will use this to explore other synonyms as well, I am surprised it did not come up wither tags.

• It is also strong in your comparison with tags, thanks a lot Justin.

These are the synonyms of “Label” in ChatGPT"

1. Tag
  2. Marker
  3. Badge
  4. Sticker
  5. Nameplate
  6. Brand
  7. Identifier
  8. Ticket

Interesting many of these imply they are “attached” to the tiddler like a “tag”.

State of play

TiddlyWiki already

• Tag
  • List

Discussed in this thread (strongest examples ?)

• Collection
  • Label
  • Classify/Classification

Possible given at least the three words

• Assembly
  • Assortment
  • Compilation

Works with three words but a little odd?

• Gathering
  • Aggregation

Note;

• If the words relating to such a group begin with a vowel (aeiou) in English we may need to use an instead of a, perhaps this adds complexity?

Further info’ on selected synonyms of label

1. Marker
  • Noun: Marker (a writing implement for making marks on surfaces or a sign used to indicate a position)
  • Adjective: Marked (as in ‘marker buoy’)
  • Verb: Mark (to make or indicate by a marker)
  1. Badge
  • Noun: Badge (a distinctive emblem worn as a mark of office, membership, achievement, licensed employment, etc.)
  • Adjective: Badged (rarely used, but can imply having a badge)
  • Verb: Badge (not commonly used as a verb, more often ‘to badge’ is used informally to describe attaching a badge)
  1. Sticker
  • Noun: Sticker (a piece of printed paper, plastic, or other material with pressure-sensitive adhesive on one side)
  • Adjective: Stickered (used informally to describe something that has stickers on it)
  • Verb: Stick (related verb, as in to apply a sticker to something)
  1. Identifier
  • Noun: Identifier (something that identifies a person or thing)
  • Adjective: Identifiable (able to be recognized)
  • Verb: Identify (to establish the identity of someone or something)
  • Supported by identity, ID, identification, but is typically unique.

[Edited]
Using variations on the above, hunt and search brainstorming, I have found a wide range of alternatives to tags, where the word has verbs, nouns, adjectives and other word forms that are different, this makes creating appropriate operators and describing what it does even easier than tags.

• Some variations should like it is applied to the tiddler, like a tag, such as label, others sound more like the tiddlers title is in a list, relating to the word eg; Queue, package, container.
1 Like

@etardiff I went on a long Journy away from “list”, also because of @jeremyruston’s comments, and have found many gems, out there in English. However I have come back to list once I freshly stumbled on blacklist and whitelist, and arguably any other color like the traffic lights redlist (stoplist) greenlist (golist) yellowlist (waitlist) and amberlist (caution list) …

• As an example all of these are amenable to other forms blacklist, blacklisting, blacklisted… even blacklister (someone, like modifier). You could even color something with “black”.
  • Lists imply the tiddler title is in the list, and not on the tiddler.
  • Such compound list titles such as whitelist imply a tiddler called whitelist (like a tag tiddler could be called taglist, and contain the list of tiddlers).
  • The field used would not be “list” but “whitelist”.

I really do think a generic solution that allows you to select from different root words would be very useful. Various examples above, and in this topic.

I am now working on all the filter operators we use to freely access an example like whitelist.