Streams: use as a to do list

I got tired of fighting with Notion today and hacked a to do list into Streams to use instead. Yak shaving at its finest.

It was always the intent to have different switchable node types in Streams but that hasn’t materialised so far. This is all wikitext work if anyone gets inspired and wants to contribute!

2 Likes

Great! Doesn’t look like you updated the online version of Streams (Streams — on TiddlyWiki 5.1.23). I look forward to seeing this hacked to do list…

I’m still confused. Does Yak shaving mean that it’s actually something you need to do, or something you’re getting distracted by?

@Mark_S A distraction sort of, more like something only barely tangentially related to your actual goal. Fairly common expression amongst developers.

From Yak Shaving: A Short Lesson on Staying Focused - American Express Technology, which also has more on the origins of the term:

Yak shaving refers to a task, that leads you to perform another related task and so on, and so on — all distracting you from your original goal. This is sometimes called “going down the rabbit hole.”

@DaveGifford when I describe something as a hack it invariably means a quick adaptation and something that needs further polish, in this case a lot more for wider distribution.

However it is all wikitext fiddling so maybe this will inspire someone else.

TBH I prefer Alice’s holey adventures to a smelly mammal I have to shave :slight_smile: . It is maybe just one of those idioms not so known outside an “inner circle” of developing Yak lovers? :slight_smile:.
Do you have any idea that Yaks smell awful :slight_smile: .

A totally peripheral comment.
TT

Threw in a WYSWIYG-ish editor removing the need to double click and go into edit mode, cause why not?

2 Likes

Ciao @EricShulman, very interesting, the Yacc. The nameology of that period (1970’s & 80’s) was fascinating … For instance GNU is a recursive acronym meaning “GNU is Not Unix”. I also liked the “AWK” thing.

But, so as not to derail @saqimtiaz with side issues, I admit he is “Yacc shaving”.
I’ll shut up now.

Best TT

How did you accomplish this? I think this is done with a ViewTemplate and the checkbox widget, but everything I tried was without success.

Just a little hint would be enough :pray:

You would need to customize the Streams templates, not the core View Template:
$:/plugins/sq/streams/templates/stream-row-template and $:/plugins/sq/streams/templates/stream-row-body

Otherwise it’s the checkbox widget and CSS. Keep in mind that editing the shadow tiddlers of a plugin makes it harder to upgrade to newer versions of the plugin.

1 Like

Thanks for your answer!

Typo?

Yes, the second should end in stream-row-body.

1 Like