Steering Committee(?) Meeting

Tiddlywiki Steering Committee Meeting 00001 Agenda

Live Discord or Zoom call on Friday 8/19 or Saturday 8/20 (please post your preference/availability/time-zones).

Gather interested parties into a live (not async) conversation to drive:

• What do we need a “Steering Committee” for? Should it even be called that?
    • Open Conversation between core Devs, Community Devs, & Community Power Users (“Subject Matter Experts”)
    • Work with @jeremyruston to manage the new Org-level GitHub Repository
    • Work with other “Stake Holders” like @boris on efforts that are not directly TW code
    • Work with the community to ID interested Devs like @poc2go and provide learning resources
    • Work with the community to ID and drive implementation of requested features/plugins/editions
      • Live Multiplayer (serious questions exist around Authentication and Authorization to avoid malicious overwrites) to allow small-team collaboration
      • “Bob”/“TiddlyServer”/“GuildWiki” style “multiple wikis, multiple users/devices” farms
      • Existing Hosting Options for “live” web-enabled wikis (public or private), Docs for same
      • Using TW as a publishing platform to “export” static web resources, i.e. html pages, images, css, etc (easily hosted on, say Fission.codes)
      • “Edition” level Apps built from TW.
    • Identify valuable targets from the above (& other suggestions)
      • Gauge interest in the community towards those projects
      • Drive OpenCollective outreach for those projects
    • Organize other Presentations/Meetings to share TW tips
      • Have a TW instance to keep notes!
    • Join the “Tools For Thought” online Meetings community calls
      • Have a TW instance to keep notes!

I am in PST (Pacific Standard Time, UTC -8:00)

5 Likes

Yeah I’m distinctly uncomfortable with steering committee as a name. How about “Get Sh*t Done” Working Group :slight_smile: (it’s not actually a good name, but that’s the part that’s needed!)

I don’t “own” Talk, but yes, certainly an initiative that I help manage / maintain.

I’ll come back with some more thoughts later. Thanks for GSD-ing!

4 Likes

I plan to revisit the original Steering Committee thread, initially I would attend because I would not want to be “on the outer” of any developments in the tiddlywiki community, and I am keen to contribute. But like @boris

• Especially in the absence of other structures that relate to such a committee, not that I want them either.

Thanks however to @joshuafontany for organising this I have a lot of respect for your views and contributions here. Since you are in PST UTC -8:00 and I am in Australia, Eastern Standard time +10, I am + 18 hours different, so this may just work, how do our English tiddlywikian’s currently at UTC -1 fit into this?

In case I don’t attend, even if I do, can I suggest,

• one of the first things that is done is a minimalist definition of what the committee is, is penciled out, and Published, perhaps in a dedicated Discourse Topic.
    • A mission and vision would not go astray here.
  • Additional items can be added over time.
  • May I suggest that what ever it does it makes sure that if someone is not on the committee they are not at a disadvantage, that is there are ways to be involved without being on the committee and attending.
  • Please be carful not to over define it, I expect a few more semi-formal groups and meetups will help with overall community development.
  • A good approach would be for future meetings, publishing a short agenda listing topic of discussion people can choose to prioritise there attendance at. shorter but more regular meetings is possibly better.
    • I think it important to consider developing at least one other more casual forum in which dev’s lurk and users/super users voice issues and potentials.
  • In other examples of something similar a steering committee key role is to have people representing the different roles people have. This could be used to craft the diversity needed on a committee.

I have being on a range of steering and community committees over the years so these ideas are based on experience. The most common mistake is too big an agenda and too long meetings.

• In fact I am actually planning to build a tiddlywiki specifically to support such groups.

Finally as long as I am available I can use my Zoom account if requested, I may even be able to delegate to others for when its outside my time zone.

What is a discord meeting?

@TW_Tones, I believe it’s referring to the application called Discord, traditionally a gaming voice chat app that became very popular among multiple different communities, as you could build hiarchies into the users in each discord Server, such as admins, mods, bots made for playing music, etc.

I use it every so often when a game I play doesn’t have VOIP or when I want to check in with a community, as many smaller level companies often have discord channels for asking questions and posting updates, much like we do here!

Thanks, yes I remember, I have an account connected to tiddlywiki. I have not yet tried one of those audio rooms. I did not reestablish after moving to my new PC.

I was TonyM but updated to match my discourse TW_Tones

I wasn’t aware you could connect Tiddlywiki to Discord, that’s neat!

Maybe connecting an empty edition to the discord channel during the TW commitee meeting would allow the hosts to document whatever is discussed and show it, since Discord does support video calling.

Official Tiddlywiki Discord Server

Connect via a browser or with the app.

I don’t think there is a way yet to connect a Discord server to a TW instance… neat idea tho.

Sorry! I meant uncomfortable with the name. I made an edit in the original to show that.

2 Likes

Is there a date and time already. … I’d vote for Saturday, where I could make it work at probably any time. … I’m GMT + 2 according to: https://greenwichmeantime.com/time/austria/vienna/

I’m also in Pacific Standard Time (-8). I’m open to anything after 0230 UTC.

This topic was also on my mind so I’m glad someone proposed a meeting about it.

Before the pandemic I was involved in a cohousing housing development group and we used sociocracy to form our structure and our decision making. I feel that might be a good fit for this group. We referred to each of our committees as “circles” ( General Circle, Finance Circle, Communication Circle, etc ). I’m not too familiar how often sociocracy is used in open source software development, but one key area is holding meetings is distinguishing who is a member who can make decisions versus someone who is merely observing. For this group I suggest making the barrier to becoming a member rather low.

My day-job had a pivot from management, and Friday got really busy. I think Saturday would work well for more people, and give me a bit more time to prepare notes. In fact, I think 2 smaller sessions would work better to allow more people to attend from different time zones. As this is an initial “gathering interest” meeting, I don’t think I’ll record it. But I plan on recording future meetings.

TiddlyWiki5 #tools-for-thought Community Sync 00001

Saturday, Aug 20 @ 10am PST (5pm UTC)

Saturday, Aug 20 @ 5pm PST (12am Sunday UTC)

We will use the #general and the #General Voice channels. I’ll block out an hour of my time for each slot, and then see what happens. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@joshuafontany On this occasion I can’t make it, bummer. But do please consider the points in my post that are a good fit Steering Committee(?) Meeting - #3 by TW_Tones

• Particularly
  • The second time suits me well, time of day but often Sundays are when I catch up with friends, or do “bush walks”, as I am on this one.

Best of luck

2 Likes

Was hoping to be able to make this but alas life has happened. :slight_smile: just busier than i was anticipating.

We had a very small TW5 sync on Saturday morning, Eric Shulman, Mario, & myself.

Eric showed off some of his redone TW5 TiddlyTools.

• Have a wall of clocks each set to a team member’s timezone & labeled with their name.
  • Have a Calendar view with all active timers, alerts, tiddlers-created, & tiddlers-modified as colored swatches on each day-card. Open to view full list-widget ui.
  • Play YouTube videos inset in the TW UI & a whole bunch of cool stuff.
  • UI to manipulate every aspect of the Wiki’s Theme/Skin (no more mucking about css by hand to start off experiments).

We will have another “TiddlyWiki #tools-for-thought Sync” in 2 weeks. I want to work with Eric (@Xyzzy on Discord) to bring these new tools to the community’s attention over the next few months.

8 Likes

I’m sorry I missed it.

TBH it was largely I was late and had no idea what I was supposed to do to log onto it & ran overtime :woozy_face:.

I do think next time it would be great if the “advert for it”

• layout the steps to be able to connect?

One thing that I think interesting is to visit to primarily “witness”, rather than necessarily feel you need to have a “contribution”? That might increase attendance to good effect?

Anyway, I sure missed an @EricShulman thing I would love to have seen!

A comment, TT

1 Like

I suggest a stirring committee. Very similar but more troublesome and with more tea.

Jon

2 Likes

@EricShulman
When do you plan to make them publically accessible? Any screenshot of the above tools available

@EricShulman is a very modest man.

TT

I’m just putting the finishing touches on some documentation and last minute testing and debugging before publishing sometime in the next week or so.

-e

7 Likes