Standard Search Expansion Ideas

This is a discussion that was spawned from the following chat:

I personally love the idea of being able perform tasks via a ‘command input’. In TW, using the Masquerading macro etc, I’m able to do enough of that to do what I want (Like launching Commander, or Control Panel etc), but it would be cool to be able to ramp up the power of the standard search.

I know there’s the Advanced Search plugin, and I love it, and I feel like the standard search would never replace this tool, however being able to do searches like:

“tag: testtag”
or
“field: testfield”

etc. Would be really cool.
I haven’t though of any commands that would be handy to run in it just yet, but with tools like the Motion plugin (Which gives the search focus by simply typing “/”) it would be sweet to be able to do all kinds of things without the need to touch the mouse.

And ITHINK such expansion (As far as updates goes) would be somewhat painless, I’ve coded a bunch of terminal apps, and have found that extending functionality isn’t super painful heh – but I’m pretty new to TW, so I’m not sure what the standard search back end looks like yet.

You may be interested in the Command Palette plugin, or in @Maurycy’s wikitext-only alternative, Go To Shortcut (less feature-rich out of the box, but more easily extensible).

2 Likes

@baiguai you must look at custom search results if you have not yet. This is the official way to do it.

• It creates additional result tabs with different results under the standard search and in the advanced search standard tab.
1 Like

OOO! Command Palette looks amazing! I’m going to have to play around with that. Thank you! That’s what I was envisioning.

Oh! I hadn’t thought about customizing the search results. Thank you, I’ll have to try that out.