Splitting / merging topics with Discourse

When looking at a topic, the wrench icon at the side lets you take actions on the entire post.

You can select one or more comments, including tools like “select all below” or “select + replies”

Generally, we want to keep threads on topic – it is easy to link and transclude other comments and posts, so we can keep threads focused and easy to find by starting new posts.

You can also easily edit “top” post categories, tags and their title by using the pencil icon next to the title, for quick fixes.

For instances, quite a lot of people post to the #how-to category not with an answer, but rather a question of “How To Do Something”. It’s quick and easy to change the category to Discussion, and maybe add a tag or two to make it easier to find.

There’s a discussion on guidelines for this.

1 Like

Example: I’d split this, along with its replies: Definition: Pure Tiddler and Impure Tiddler - #45 by sull-vitsy

Yep, good suggestion. And at the risk of this comment itself going OT — I wonder what the best way to teach people this other than moderators / leaders being a bit more pro-active about it?

Elsewhere (as I’ve mentioned to you before) I just do it.

But I get it, TW topics are not so easy to “police”. That one just stands out as obvious (to me).

And on that point…

We know discussions (conversations) can wander, and that’s completely fine. But when a question is asked that’s clearly deviating, then it should become a new topic. The only feedback I get is positive – people are proud they asked a question worthy of being a whole new topic.Once that’s happened a few times (sometimes only once) they “get it”.

If I EVER need to emphasize or explain my intent, I say something like, we’re trying to create a knowledge base: correctly titled topics are better for search engines.

1 Like

Feel free to delete this OT sub.

I think it’s useful context for mods & leaders.

Ideally we will have a live call with active people to talk about this at some point, but “overhearing” this POV is super helpful.

For those that don’t know @CodaCoder runs a very large Discourse instance and so has lots of experience.