Space Between <PRE> Codeblocks Lost in 5.2.3?

I just noticed some spacing I normally use in stylesheet tiddlers, which renders as expected in the preview window:

… disappears entirely in rendered tiddlers:

Looks like this behavior crept in with version 5.2.3 I popped back to my pre-update 5.2.2 version, and the same tiddler renders more like the preview window there.

Hi @Secret-HQ v5.2.3 changes the default view used for stylesheet tiddlers. Previously, we displayed the wikified text of the stylesheet as HTML which sometimes included unwanted formatting. The default now is to display the wikified text of the stylesheet in a codeblock. The main motivation was to enable syntax highlighting for stylesheets, which can be useful for debugging problems.

You can revert to the older behaviour by searching for the shadow tiddler “$:/config/ViewTemplateBodyFilters/stylesheet”, and editing it to make the contents blank.

Ah! Thanks for demystifying it, @jeremyruston!

I wonder if the change is a little half-baked at the moment or still in progress.

The wikification process seems to be going awry somewhere.

If I remove the <pre> and </pre> tags from the body of the tiddler above, leaving all other spacing intact, my text loses line breaks in the rendered tiddler and gets smooshed together (just like you see in the second screenshot).

This is not the case with the preview pane; there, individual line breaks get ignored and everything renders on one line — but double line breaks are still respected, leaving an empty line between my style elements.

If I simply remove the $:/tags/Stylesheet tag, and wrap my text in backticks or <code> (again, removing the <pre> tags), my text renders in both the preview and the saved tiddler as I’d expect it to — as a standard TiddlyWiki code block with line breaks rendered for readability.

See the attached tiddler variations for examples.

highlights_vnd.tiddlywiki.tid (1.2 KB)
highlights_vnd.tiddlywiki_no-PRE-tags.tid (1.2 KB)
highlights_vnd.tiddlywiki_no-PRE-tags_codeblock-backticks.tid (1.1 KB)
highlights_vnd.tiddlywiki_no-PRE-tags_codeblock-CODE-tags.tid (1.2 KB)

If the goal is to make tiddlers of type vnd.tiddlywiki with $:/tags/Stylesheet render as syntax-highlighted CSS, the same way a pure CSS tiddler of type css would, that’s a welcome change!

But it doesn’t seem to be working for me. I tried those sample tiddlers in an empty.html, and I got the same weird behaviors there, so I don’t think it’s any of my customizations causing the problem. It could be something goofy about my syntax, though.