[SOLVED] Problem with TiddlyTools Advanced Search - reference to missing tiddler

I have this weird problem with TiddlyTools Advanced Search.

When I open the Advanced Search tiddler there is a big list of tags in columns. At the bottom of the tag columns there is a line that reads “There are 0 tiddlers tagged with Plant trees”. “Plant trees” is a tiddler that I had created some time ago, but no longer exists in my wiki. I’m stunned as to why this line always comes up when the Advanced Search tiddler is opened. I tried re-installing the plugin by drag and drop, but the wrong line is still there.

It may be worth mentioning that the Advanced Search plugin that I have is dated Tuesday, November 21st 2023 at 06:37:26am whereas the current version in Tiddly Tools is dated Saturday, February 24th 2024 at 07:07:35am. How do I update my version?

I haven’t used this, but it looks like it uses $:/config/TiddlyTools/FindTags
for configuration. Perhaps if you opened that, you could see how to delete the tag.

If you’re not comfortable modifying this directly it would likely work to temporarily add a tiddler with the tag “Plant trees”, then uncheck the Tags entry for it and delete your tiddler.

Eric is thorough, so I’m guessing you can can just remove that tiddler and it will be regenerated when you check some tags, but I would only try that if the first two techniques don’t work.

Edit: I just tested, and all three methods seem to work.

1 Like

I searched for this, but I couldn’t find it.

However, I tried the second method that you suggested and magically, it’s now fixed. The phantom tag is gone!

However, I still don’t know why the tiddler TiddlyTools/Search/Info doesn’t show the February date.

EDIT: I finally found the $:/config/TiddlyTools/FindTags Tiddler. Its content was a couple of curly brackets like “{}”.

The problem arises because you had the “Plant trees” tag selected in TiddlyTools/Search/Tags when you deleted that tag. Because the currently selected tags are stored in $:/config/TiddlyTools/FindTags (as @Scott_Sauyet has noted), “Plant trees” was still being used when generating the resulting lists of tiddlers.

This problem was further compounded by an “error of omission” in my TiddlyTools/Search/Tags code, which was only showing checkboxes for tags that currently exist in your TiddlyWiki. Thus, while “Plant trees” was selected, it didn’t appear in the list of tags, so you were unable to de-select it AFTER having deleted the tag.

Fortunately, the fix for this was easy: my code now shows checkboxes for all tags that currently exist PLUS any tags that are currently selected, regardless of whether or not they exist in your file. This allows you to easily de-select the obsolete tag. Note that as soon as you do, it’s checkbox will also disappear from the list of tags, since it isn’t being used anymore.

As a bonus, as long as I was changing the TiddlyTools/Search/Tags code, I’ve added an extra option: you can now toggle a checkbox setting to include or exclude all shadows from the list of tags and the resulting lists of tiddlers. The default is to list only tiddlers, while the old code always included both tiddlers and shadows.

Note: I’ve also made a minor style adjustment to show 3 columns instead of 4. This allows for better display by avoiding most instances of word-wrapping when long tag names or tiddler titles are shown.

You can get the latest update here: TiddlyTools/Search/Tags.
Just view that tiddler and drag-and-drop its title into your TiddlyWiki to import it.

enjoy,
-e

2 Likes

Thank you for the explanation of what was a mystery to me and also for the quick solution.

Please note that if I deselect the show shadows checkbox I still see a few tags that are also included in the Shadows list of tags. Namely a number of tiddlers starting with $:/tags/...

In addition to these there are a few that are not in the Shadows tiddlers list, but appear in the Advanced Search list. For example there is a $:/plugins/nico/projectify/tags/Category item and a number of tiddlers starting with $:/giffmex/...

Anyway the list of tags now is much shorter and more relevant to me if the show shadows checkbox is unselected. This is a great improvement.

If you’ve used those tags on any real tiddlers, they will still show in the list.

Plugins can create real tiddlers to store various state values and other settings. These tiddlers can have any name the plugin chooses, so $:/plugins/nico/projectify/tags/Category item and $:/giffmex/... are probably real tiddlers, even though they start with $:/.

-e

1 Like

Thank you for the answers. It must be a plugin rather than myself that uses the tag in each case on real tiddlers. For example 50 tiddlers are tagged with the tag $:/giffmex/stroll

$:/_sq/Stories/config/sidebaroverlaybreakpoint
$:/_sq/Stories/config/Story2-storyview
$:/_sq/Stories/Story2StoryList
$:/.giffmex/.Stylesheet4Stroll
$:/.giffmex/actions/new-journal
$:/.giffmex/Buttons/more-tiddler-edit-actions
$:/.giffmex/EditTemplate/custom
$:/.giffmex/language/toolbar
$:/.giffmex/sidebar/advancedconfig
$:/.giffmex/sidebar/tabs/strollcontrols
$:/.giffmex/ui/EditTemplate
$:/.giffmex/ViewTemplate/refscontext
$:/.giffmex/ViewTemplate/refshidden
$:/.giffmex/ViewTemplate/refslinks
$:/.giffmex/ViewTemplate/refstabs
$:/.giffmex/ViewTemplate/refstranscludeclean
$:/.giffmex/ViewTemplate/refstranscludecollapse
$:/.giffmex/ViewTemplate/title
$:/.giffmex/ViewToolbar/new-note-here
$:/.giffmex/ViewToolbar/new-note-here-datetime
$:/config/EditorTypeMappings/text/vnd.tiddlywiki
$:/config/Navigation/openLinkFromInsideRiver
$:/config/NewJournal/Title
$:/config/PageControlButtons/Visibility/$:/_sq/Stories/Templates/StoryTogglePageControl
$:/config/PageControlButtons/Visibility/$:/core/ui/Buttons/home
$:/config/PageControlButtons/Visibility/$:/core/ui/Buttons/new-journal
$:/config/RelinkOnRename
$:/config/Tiddlers/TitleLinks
$:/config/ui/EditTemplate
$:/config/ViewToolbarButtons/Visibility/$:/.giffmex/viewtoolbar/viewrefs
$:/config/ViewToolbarButtons/Visibility/$:/.giffmex/ViewToolbar/viewrefscheckboxes
$:/config/ViewToolbarButtons/Visibility/$:/core/ui/Buttons/fold
$:/core/ui/Buttons/fold
$:/core/ui/ControlPanel/StoryView
$:/core/ui/ViewTemplate/title
$:/language/Buttons/NewHere/Hint
$:/language/Buttons/NewJournalHere/Hint
$:/palette
$:/plugins/danielo515/context/css
$:/plugins/danielo515/ContextPlugin
$:/plugins/danielo515/ContextPlugin/Caption
$:/plugins/danielo515/ContextPlugin/widgets/context.js
$:/plugins/snowgoon88/edit-comptext