Simple formatting question

Hi! First post here! I’m a long-time TWc user but still a bit of a newbie to TW5. I’m trying to do something that feels like it should be dead simple but can’t find the trick.

I’m trying to do this – a bold label and plain text:
Label: text

Not this:
Label: text Label: text Label: text

…And not this

…but so far the two latter ones are all I can produce. Maybe I can do something with WikiText but that looks cumbersome compared to just wrapping the label in double single quotes. What am I missing?

Thanks!

Hi @GulfGondola,
welcome here!

The simplest way is using a <br> like

Label: text<br>

TW5 normally ignores single newlines (producing the second example you have given) and interprets more than one newline as a new paragraph (producing the third example you have given, with spacing between paragraphs).

There are several ways to achieve the formatting you wish:

1. Add <br> where you want the line break to appear, e.g. at the end of the line ''Label:'' text<br> or at the end of the contents of the <$list> widget.
  2. If it’s manually typed text, you can wrap it in triple double quotes """ placed in a line in front of and after the text you want formatted like that, e.g.:
"""
''Label:'' text
"""

See here for details: https://tiddlywiki.com/#Hard%20Linebreaks%20in%20WikiText

1. This formatting can be applied to the entire tiddler without using """ by using this somewhat more complicated approach: https://tiddlywiki.com/#Hard%20Linebreaks%20with%20CSS This is useful if you have many tiddlers where you want the entire content formatted with hard line breaks. You can set it up so that tagging a tiddler with a special tag will apply this formatting. Then the contents of the tiddler can be simply
5 Likes

You can enclose your text list in 3 quote marks top and bottom.

Thanks for the suggestions! Multiple ways to accomplish it. I knew there was a trick (or tricks) I was missing!

Cheers!

2 Likes