Sidebar overflow scroll question (Windows / Firefox)

A few months ago I went into about:config in Firefox to widen my overflow scrollbars. They had become so thin, so it was an effort to grab one quickly to start scrolling.

But then the story river scrollbar and the TW sidebar scrollbar began to conflict. One tends to lay over top of the other. I put up with it for a while but today I got fed up with it.

So I went back to about:config and undid all of my changes. But now I have the same conflict AND my two scrollbars are terribly thin. I have both problems.

Anybody have any recommendations / instructions? I would be open to having the sidebar overflow scrollbar on the left side of the sidebar. Or some way to have the two scroll bars be side by side off to the right, and a bit thicker than the default.

Putting this in a tiddler and tagging it with $:/tags/Stylesheet will move the sidebar’s scrollbar to the left of its content.

.tc-sidebar-scrollable {
direction: rtl;
}

.tc-sidebar-scrollable div {
direction: ltr;
}

This CSS will widen all the scrollbars in the page. Note, this only works in webkit browsers. Chrome uses webkit, but I think Firefox uses Gecko.

::-webkit-scrollbar {
    width: 2em;
    height: 2em
}
::-webkit-scrollbar-button {
    background: #ccc
}
::-webkit-scrollbar-track-piece {
    background: #888
}
::-webkit-scrollbar-thumb {
    background: #eee
}​
4 Likes

Hi Jennifer, thanks for this! I had to disable the Resize Sidebar plugin to get it to work.

So I went back into Firefox’s about:config and made the following changes. Now my scrollbars are wide, and the sidebar scroll is on the left of the sidebar.

widget.non-native-theme.scrollbar.size.override 30
widget.non-native-theme.scrollbar.style 4

Solution added to Documenting TW — a non-linear personal web notebook

1 Like