Showcase for TiddlyWiki OpenCollective Funding Idea

The issue with “community” work is practical consensus rather than wind. Regarding SHOWCASES … just opinions right now …

1 - TW SHOWCASES need their own address (maybe under tiddlywiki.com/showcase ?) . Hence costs for doing that. Some one would have to design that and should be paid to do so.

2 - The showcases should be permanently archived (i.e not just be linked to) so the resource is reliably stable. This is partly where the money comes in. Someone has to get permissions to do that. It takes time. They could/should be paid to do that.

3 - Every showcase should have a statement about it’s remit, it’s purpose, on an index. Like “Anthropologist’s could use this …”; “Social historian’s could use this …”: “Bible scholar’s this …” etc. Get the idea? A brief mention of the purpose of each. Again this is where money is spent paying a “curator” to write that overview.

These are merely ideas.
TT

3 Likes

(1) not a problem, it “just” means a pull request to tw-com, very doable. And, could be managed as tiddlers there. This could be paid, or someone could volunteer. A design could be contracted out. Or, as you say, the whole thing could be funded. Any thoughts on what you, personally, think someone should be paid for that?

(2) I think maybe you’re sort of talking about editions? Or do you mean just a screenshot?

For instance – someone could use my grocery/food site as a Showcase Boris Shopping List — a non-linear personal shopping list – but it’s not really setup for other people to use. Setting up more Editions – e.g. a version of my site that is “TW for Foodies” – would be a lot of work.

Personally, I would be excited to fund / support the creation of an Edition, but I don’t know if others would.

We don’t have long term funding to maintain TW core – Jeremy and other core developers are all volunteers – so I don’t quite see how these showcase Editions could be paid for.

If, instead, it’s “merely” saying to the creator, "Can we make a copy of your TW and keep it at /showcase/tw-for-foodies/" – it’s mainly about getting permission, so not a cost per se.

Let me know if I’m understand this (2) correctly or not?

(3) This is great. I think some of that content we could start by gathering in the #showcase category. What do you think?

@TiddlyTweeter I support your desire to see this happen. The only thing is GitHub is free for open source teams, I see no reason not to leverage that. All we need then is a repository and some support for non GitHub users to submit, talk.tiddlywiki.org seems sufficient to me. Published editions on GigHub and prompting people to star editions they like, could inform us which deserve “top billing” on tiddltywiki.com.

1 Like

Having something under the tiddlywiki.com “umbrella” also includes the commitment from the core developers to maintain it. … forever. … That’s probably a “no go”

I think it can be different with tiddlywiki.org … Where by design it is meant to be managed by the community.

1 Like

Ciao @pmario I fully understand that and agree really.

My point was simply that a distinct address for “showcases” seems like a good idea? That we need that to improve uptake of TW and also just show it’s brilliance more widely?

Thoughts
TT

I think so. The #showcase category seems like it is working okay to provide a kind of reservoir to select from for something more permanent. In the past all those great wikis got lost. It is definitely an upside here that we have such categories.

The design aspect seems important since to “showcase” you need be absolutely clear the looks are good and they work cross-platform perfectly. In that sense I’m in favour of employing a professional. Costs? No idea nowadays. We’d need a spec. and ask around?

TT

Right. Volunteers drive TW. It is maybe a conundrum that “showcasing” has been so poor so far. But that is partly it is a different strategy that needs attention itself to work. It is a looking-out for what’s about, rather than focus on “what is the issue now?” TBH I think “promotion” is quite different from “development”.

These are just my opinions today. I am not wedded to them.
TT

I meant …

1 - excellent examples of applied use of TW
2 - that are hosted at an address dedicated for the purpose (i.e. not just links or embeds or screenshots, rather the TW Community owns a copy that is the version pointed to, housed on their server)
3 - regarding “Editions”. Right there is a lot of merit in actively evolving good work to become an “edition” and, as you say, this is an area where promotion with monetary incentives might help.

This is far as I got so far. I wait for responses to my thoughts.
TT

1 Like