Setup an Image Gallery in Five Minutes

TiddlyWiki boasts a vibrant ecosystem of tools, thanks to its friendly and welcoming community.

Here’s how I configured a TiddlyWiki:

1. To read a folder containing 3,576 SVG images.
  2. To employ a button widget and create a separate tiddler for each image to maintain the image title and display the image later.
  3. To use a view template with parameters pragma and an image widget to present a customized widget.
  4. To have a tiddler that stores the relative path to the image folder.
  5. To apply a bit of CSS to style the images in a gallery format.
  6. To implement a simple pagination system to navigate through pages of images.

I would like to acknowledge:

All tiddlers we need to do the job!

msedge_img_283_20240901.png

The readme

The view template with parameters
msedge_img_287_20240901.png

The image tiddlers created. They are empty, but display images in a customized way :wink:

The image gallery with pagination buttons

The final TiddlyWiki

10 Likes

Great work! Another approach that would be interesting to test would be to create a sprite sheet of emoji and use symbols to display each emoji, or use background position to show a part of the sheet. One page could be one sheet? This is the technique used by notion, I’m guessing that this is worth it if it’s more costly to load a bunch of tiny files vs loading once one big file.

1 Like

I think the thumbnail Macro can be used by the image gallery, which supports displaying caption at the bottom.

Hi, I like to try the plugin. Where to download and install?
Regards, Bapak Ireng

Actually this macro is included in the tiddlywiki core. You don’t need to install any plugin to use it.

Thanks for your kind answer. I still do not know how tot start and how to use it. I do have some pictures, which i would like to share with my friends within a seperate tiddler to make my friends interested in using a tiddlywiki, perhaps as well.

regards, Bapak_Ireng

First you will have to import some images in your tiddlywiki. See Importing Tiddlers.
For the example, let’s say you have imported an image in a tiddler with title “Image 1”.
Create a new tiddler and copy this code inside:

<<thumbnail image:"Image 1" link:"Image 1" caption:"My first thumbnail">>

And you’ve done your first thumbnail!

Fred

And also, more related to the OP, in @Mohammad’s ViewTemplate you could replace the <$image ...> widget by a call to the thumbnail macro like this:

<$transclude $variable="thumbnail" image=<<image.path>> link=<<image.path>> caption=<<tooltip>> class=<<class>> width=<<width>>/>

Fred