Sequential titles

Is there any way to create tiddlers with a base title following by sequential numbers without any spaces?.

I have a function that allows me to reorder the paragraphs within pieces of writing using drag and drop. I use the same code over and over by relying on a template. I designed this a long time ago, so the code is somewhat archaic, and given new improvements to Tiddlywiki, it is out of date, but it still works well.

The arrangement keys off of the title of the tiddler that calls the template. In other words, if the calling tiddler has the title ParagraphAA1, and the tiddlers that compose the writing are tagged ParagraphAA1, the tags give order to the tagged paragraphs and allow me use drag and drop to change the tagged tiddlers’ order and insert new tiddlers as I see fit. The arrangement also permits me to print out the documents when I am ready to do so.

For years I have relied upon a clumsy system intended to produce an orderly arrangements for the calling tiddlers so that I have some control over their arrangement. I have decided to automate this in a way that maintains the order automatically. The Action Create-Tiddler widget would work except that it inserts a space before the sequential number that follows the base title. Is there another way to do this that generates a title without spaces?

I depends on if you are using your own button, if you use the ActionCreateTiddlerWidget it uses basetitle and does as usual, however you can use the unused title macro and set the format yourself. As long as it does not exist already, it will create a tiddler with the base title.

See: https://tiddlywiki.com/#unusedtitle%20Macro

1 Like

I second the unusedtitle macro, it’s what I use for my tiddlers.

You can create something along the lines of <<unusedtitle startCount:"1" baseName:'Untitled' template:'$baseName$ #$count:1$'>> into the “Title of new tiddlers” ($:/language/DefaultNewTiddlerTitle) field in $:/ControlPanel or GettingStarted

If you are using v5.3.4 the startCount parameter will allow you to change the initial count from 0 to 1, or whatever you choose.

It can also be used for the journal tiddler title, as if you set the baseName to date formatting, ie yyyy-0mm-0dd you can auto-date your entries while also have the auto-numbering feature of the unusedtitle macro.

See this reply Procedure's Parameters Unexpectedly Unavailable in Action Sendmessage Widget - #36 by TW_Tones of mine to another thread for a new tiddler with unused titles.

This looks very promising. Thank you. Much has changed in Tiddlywiki and I am playing catch up.

Merv