Search dropdown

Does someone know why sometimes the search dropdown doesn’t actually drop down? It shows the number of the matches but you have to click on the field for the results to show. I’m talking about this:

I’ve been having this issue for a long time and I can’t quite figure out when it happens exactly. Half the time everything works correctly and half the time I need to do the additional click.

Been meaning to ask this for a long time.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Actually I have had the same issue with core TW5 search box in Top menu bar and also in side panel for some time and found if just clicked outside the search box and then clicked inside the search box I would get the drop-down search result list. So interested in answer as well.

I note in your example you have Full text results tab, which suggests you have something customising search results, I do and have the same symptom but not tiddlywiki.com.

Hmm, i do have the full-text-search plugin installed, but it was happening before that as well. This gives me a good start for additional research however. So thank you @TW_Tones !

Which browser do you use?

I installed full text search on a copy of tiddlywiki.com and the fault did not occur.

I have the same issue and NOT installed full-text-search

Browser: EDGE
Workflow:

1. Search field enter: “xxxxxx”
  2. Select something from the drop down
  3. Enter the search field again (still xxxxx in there) and change it to yyyyyy
  4. The drop down will NOT appear

May be also helpful for investigation

But no problem on tiddlywiki.com !

You are right not on tiddlywiki.com

With Edge and tiddlywiki.com I always have that problem, but I do not know where it comes from.
I usually use FF where I do not have a problem.

1 Like

i can verify that i have this issue on tiddlywiki.com with MS edge, using the procedure given by @stefan_from_germany

I have the issue on tiddlywiki.com (and pretty much everywhere) on Chrome on Windows and Mac and on Brave on Windows and Ubuntu at home. I had always assumed this was intentional, although I didn’t know why. If it’s not happening on Firefox (can’t test right now), then I assume it’s a difference between Webkit and Gecko; I’m old enough to remember that such differences was pretty much the bane of web development. Now they’re rare enough to be notable.

Additional notes:

• When I enter the second search term, I do get the down-arrow with the count of matches, and can click it to see the list. The search is happening; the overlay with the results is simply not visible.

• It only happens when I select and remove the search term with the cursor. If I click in and backspace before retyping it doesn’t happen.

I think it has to do with the down and up arrow keyboard handling. With FF if there is a dropdown and I hit the down-arrow it selects the first element in the dropdown.

It does not do that with Edge. May be that’s a point to start at, but the key keybord handling code is super complex.

With Edge the up and down arrows work the first time the dropdown is shown. But as soon as the dropdown failed keyboard nav also fails.