Safari unexpected delete text behaviour v5.3.2, 5.3,1

good morning all!

sorry not sure if this is an intended behaviour in safari in general, but there is no issue on mac firefox (selected text deletes as expected)

confirmed with tiddlywiki 5.2.2 (and tiddlywiki.com), 5.2.1 using
safari on ios 17.2, ios 17.2.1 (latest) and
safari on mac os 14.2, 14.2.1 (latest)

when selecting a portion of a line,
AND the preceding linebreak
(not sure if needs the blank line, please see gif)

and then using the backspace key,
the whole paragraph is deleted (i.e. unselected text is deleted), rather than just the selection

RPReplay_Final1703229438-2

Hi @makiaea I can confirm that I see the same problem on iPhone and iPad, and am investigating

The strange thing is that for me the problem only occurs on tiddlywiki.com, and not on tiddlywiki.com/empty.html

2 Likes

hi @jeremyruston hope you’re having a good weekend! just got another chance to look at this and it does appear to occur with empty.html also (when using safari on mac or ios)

i copied the text of “GettingStarted” from tiddlywiki.com and created a new tiddler in an empty.html opened using safari,

selecting and deleting the partial line + empty preceding line

Click here to download an empty copy

shows the issue — but only if you edit after the tiddler has been saved once

if you try this in the new tiddler before the tiddler is saved, it does not occur (yet)

please see github discussion at [BUG] Safari data loss from unexpected delete text behaviour · Issue #7942 · Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5 · GitHub

seems like a safari/webkit issue that might be resolved with release of safari 17.4 in march 2024