RSOE in older version: worth reporting?

Should I raise an issue on GitHub for a red-screen error that happens in 5.2.5, but not the recent 5.3.0? Does it matter that it’s caused by a simple syntax error, relatively easy to find and trivial to fix?

Background

For stupid reasons not worth discussing right now, at work, I’m stuck on Tiddlywiki version 5.2.5.

Last week I ran into a red screen of embarrassment. I was able to fix it – just an error in my filter syntax – but then today, something led me to an old topic and this post by our illustrious leader:

You can see the error by visiting https://crosseye.github.io/TW5-demos/2023-07-17a/. If you open one of the links under “Document Locations”, it should open fine. (Note this is a highly sanitized version of a proprietary work wiki; you don’t have to understand much of it.)

But if you edit $:/_/pa/templates/SourceType

replacing this line:

<<list-links filter:"[all[tiddlers]source-type<currentTiddler>]" >>

with the version I found had the bug in it:

<<list-links filter:"[all[tiddlers]source-type<currentTiddler>]"> >>

(note the spurious > right before the closing >>), then you will get the RSOE when you try to open any of the Document Source links.

This does not happen in the version upgraded to 5.3.0

You can, but the first question will be, if it still happens in a later version. I did just test v5.2.7 which is the successor of v5.2.5. There is no RSOD there. So it seems to be fixed.

The only way to “patch” v5.2.5 would be with a plugin, that overwrites the offending code in v5.2.5 – So theoretically you could stay with v5.2.5 and still fix the RSOD. But I’m not sure if that problem is patchable with a plugin.

But we do not have the resources to work that way.

That’s what I expected. Thank you for the feedback.