[RFC] Request for Feedback: Accessibility improvement for HelloThere

Hi folks,
I did create a new draft to Improve Accessibility For HelloThere

From time to time I activate Narrator screen reader at Windows-11 to test accessibility. I want to “hear” how a tiddler will be read as a whole.

Here is what I did at the GitHub preview:

• Adds a new alt-text field to every image tiddler I could find. Especially those used for HelloThere - flex cards.
  • Improve flex-card procedure to render alt-text for images, so they can be read by screen readers.
  • The PR “aria-hides” the new image-badge because it causes problems – Narrator reads the full card text 2 times

So for everyone of you, who use screen readers, or know how to use them properly, I would like to know, if the changes made actually are an improvement. Or did I make it worse.

have fun!
Mario

3 Likes

The GitHub PR is at: Improve hellothere flex cards accessibility by pmario · Pull Request #8325 · Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5 · GitHub

The current version of HelloTere is at: https://tiddlywiki.com/archive/full/TiddlyWiki-5.3.4#HelloThere

I’m not a regular user of screen readers, and I suspect those who really rely on them know which ones are state of the art. So I certainly can’t comment on whether your changes improve things or make them worse. Still, I think it’s good to practice orienting to how a site might come across with accessibility tools.

Turning to the first suggested accessibility reading plugin for chrome (“Read Aloud”), I just tried it on tw-com. It starts by treating the Contents (sidebar tab) items as an ordered (numbered) list. (Perhaps it imposes ol so that it’s easier to navigate/choose.) Quite jarringly — surely because of the implicit period in the ordered-list mechanic — the voice separates each number from its content, then runs each list-item together with the number for the next-in-sequence, like this: “One.… HelloThere two.… Learning three.…” (etc.)

I don’t know how much savvy is built into good reading algorithms, and how much we can do things to help the voice synthesis with better punctuation/timing hints. At any rate, that’s my first small bit of feedback.

That’s interesting. I also had to add a “full stop” to the alt-text field. Otherwise the alt-text and the “flex-card” text body are read as 1 sentence.

I did not change anything in the sidebar. I did only change something in the HelloThere tiddler.

1 Like

3 posts were split to a new topic: Semantic HTML OL vs UL in the right sidebar

Hi,
In short, problems are in TW UI image tiddlers ať all. If you add alt to images, yes this is right way.