Revolutionary file system for tiddlywiki - is it possible to have something like this on tiddlywiki?

is it possible to have something like this on tiddlywiki?

link: Folder Structure & Tags | Wiki.js

actually yes (I think- at least from what I’ve read from the site, the image looks like a single level directory, which confused me at first, but I believe it’s talking about a multi-tag filtering system?)

using tags you can do what it states, it’s actually how I setup my TW.

I typically organize my tags as ‘status’ ‘category’ ‘topic’, as red blue and green respectively.

this allows me to find whatever task I’m working on (by status) or if I want to find a specific topic i can find it that way as well, just by clicking on the tag.

I believe Soren Bjornstad uses a similar method of sorting by tags on his zettelkasten, as his site is where I learned to make filters for tags by color.

Is that what you were asking, or was there a different method used? I admit I did skim the article.

1 Like

Step 1: Create tiddlers, named as follows:

• home
  • home/universe/planets/earth
  • home/cities/montreal
  • home/cities/frankfurt
  • home/cities/frankfurt/landmarks
  • home/travel

Step 2: enter the following macro into a tiddler:

<<tree "home">>

The <<tree "home">> macro uses a recursive technique to parse each tiddler title that starts with “home”, splitting the title at each occurence of the “/” separator character in order to render a multi-level expandable tree view

Note that the <<tree>> macro output is somewhat different than the “Traditional Folder System” diagram in your posting. Specifically:

1. it uses indentation instead of “tree lines” to show the different levels
  2. “branch” nodes show a folder icon
  3. “leaf” nodes (tiddler endpoints) show a document icon
  4. If a branch node is also a tiddler, it is shown twice: once as a “leaf” and once as a “branch”

It is entirely possible to write a different “tree” macro that also uses recursion to produce output that is much more similar in appearance to the “Traditional Folder System” diagram:

1. Show “tree lines” by using custom CSS and <ul>/<li> HTML elements (see http://listtree.tiddlyspot.com/)
  2. Omit “expand/collapse” handling, so the entire tree is always fully displayed
  3. Omit folder/document icons

enjoy,
-e

5 Likes

After re-reading the link, this fits much better than what I proposed :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yes, we call it a “namespace”, which is mainly used for system tiddlers.

1 Like