Remove Tag Tiddler

Is there a way to remove tiddlers that are automatically created whenever I change the color of a specific tag in the tag manager?

The color for a given tag is stored in the color field of the tag tiddler. If you remove the tag tiddler, that tag’s color will revert to the default.

Similarly, if you use drag-and-drop within a tag dropdown list to re-order the tiddlers with that tag, the custom order is stored in the list field of the tag tiddler. If you remove the tag tiddler, the order of tiddlers with that tag will revert to the default alphabetic order.

Yeah, so I was wondering if I could remove them while retaining the color. Looks like it’s impossible. Is there a way to “hide” these tiddlers so they don’t appear in the list when I click the “All” tab? Thank you!

Hello NightOwl,

The “All” tab uses the $:/core/Filters/AllTiddlers!!filter wich is [!is[system]sort[title]].

Base on your use case, you may want to use another filter that excludes tiddlers tags with color and without text content:

[all[tiddlers]!is[system]] -[all[tiddlers]!is[system]is[tag]!has[text]has[color]] +[sort[title]]

BR,

Eskha

1 Like

Thank you. The problem is, I have few tiddlers that I use as customized sidebar tabs. They have their own content like table of contents. They still appear in the “All” tab which I find redundant so I wanna remove them too. Is there a possible way? Sorry if I ask too much. I am so new to this. Thank you!

If you have an “All” tab… could you clarify which version of TiddlyWiki you’re using? Recent versions don’t have a stand-alone “All” tab (unless you’ve specifically got a modification that elevates the “All” tab so it’s not a sub-tab under “More”). I’ll assume you do have a TiddlyWiki 5.x.x…

To remove tiddlers from the “all” menu, there are two solutions:

(1) rename those other sidebar-tab tiddlers so that they are “system tiddlers” whose titles start with $:/. System tiddlers do not by default appear in the All menu. You can use their caption field to specify the word you’d like to display on the tab itself.

(2) Leave those tab tiddler names unchanged, and simply change the “All” filter (as @Eskha was doing) to leave out the redundant tiddlers:

[all[tiddlers]!is[system]] -[all[tiddlers]!is[system]is[tag]!has[text]has[color]] -[tag[$:/tags/SideBar]] +[sort[title]]

(This way, you could even add some further sidebar tab, and the name of the tiddler for that tab would automatically be left out of the “All” menu.)

LAST – and sorry for so many different bits of advice! – you might consider whether to leave the “All” menu just as it is, and design something like a custom Index or Inventory tab (or whatever you want to call it) that specifically looks for tiddlers meeting the specifications you care about in your usual workflow.

Orienting to how filters work takes time, but helps to open up the power of TiddlyWiki!

Let us know how it goes!

3 Likes

I used the wrong term, by tab I meant the sub-tab under More. I initially wanted the More tab be removed altogether to save some space or to keep 5 tabs maximum, but I need a quick access to some sub-tabs from time to time. Anyway, I’ve previously been using the $:/ method to hide them but I was just wondering if there’s a more efficient way coz I have like more than two hundred tags and manually editing them takes so much time. I later found a better way to sort my tiddlers instead of tags but it’s too late to do all that. I also have “custom Index” for every customized tabs. So having these redundant tiddlers in the All menu (like it is supposed to :laughing:) bothers me – just a matter of style.

Thank you for your advice! I’ll see what works for me best.

1 Like

Such lists may be redundant, but think of your future self, returning in a year or two and not recalling that you hid something. My preference is to add a tab/sub tab that makes it easier to use but leave the default behaviour in place, and placing things behind the more button, keeps them out of the way.

• I am more likely to add a few extra tabs behind the more button than edit or reduce them.

You should definitely grab the Commander plugin—it makes batch editing jobs like this quick and easy!

2 Likes