Radar (spider) charts in wikitext

Inspired by @telumire and his exploration of a radar chart in wikitext (using his new trigonometric operators), I have been playing with porting the svg-radar-chart library to wikitext: Radar graphs — wikitext port of svg-radar-chart

Still lots more to do including getting rid of the inline styles and CSS and figuring out how I would want to pass the data to the macro in a friendlier manner.

It is pretty impressive how much one can get done in wikitext.

As always though, working on this highlighted areas for core improvement:

4 Likes

@saqimtiaz, the basic thing looks very good! Impressive!

(Suggestion: It is maybe worth mentioning what a Radar Chart is? What folk would use it for, somewhere in any final docs, so ordinary users could better understand where it is relevant to them? Here is one example: https://msktc.org/lib/docs/KT_Toolkit/Charts_and_Graphs/Charts_and_Graphics_Radar_508c.pdf)

Best wishes, TT

2 Likes

Hi Saq,
you again made a great tool! Thanks!
It would be cool to have this kind of structure to use it generically and aggregate the data, though I guess you already figured this out:
<<radar filter:(tiddlers generating the data based on fields) fields:(furnishing the captions) label:(A field the macro grabs the title from)>>
Best wishes Jan

Hi @JanJo, I haven’t had the chance to work on this further since I posted the demo. As I mentioned, figuring out a friendlier way of passing data to the macro is the next step.

In part I haven’t revisited this yet because I need to consider my own data sources, and whether I really want to tie the macro to data coming from fields. One thought is to have two macros:

• a base radar macro that doesn’t need tiddlers but accepts raw data input
  • a radar-from-tiddlers macro that accepts a filters argument for tiddlers from which to get the data, and then passes it on to the radar macro

Hi Saq,
this sounds good!
Greetings Jan

I have added a helper macro, radar-from-tiddlers that allows the data for the chart to be derived from tiddlers.

3 Likes

Hi Saq,
this is so neat that I immediately started thinking of what I could compare to use it. I paste your link here to make it easier to find:

Jan