Quine2 no longer available in iOS App Store

I purchased the app years ago. When I restored the recent backup on my new iOS device I got the message that Quine2 is not longer available in my country.

Is there an alternative? Tried Dropbox but saving a wiki doesn’t work properly. Any solution or suggestions?

Many Thanks in advance
Olivito

Welcome @Olivito !

• I also have the app and saw it was removed from iOS

• Unsure why - can’t find out much about it…
  • There are a couple of options:

• Contact Apple - as for a refund - and depends on who you get - they will give you a one-time link - to get the legacy software
      • Or they might just refund you :slightly_frowning_face:
    • Look at https://toucharcade.com/
      • See if there is something that’s an alternate,…
    • Quine 2 is still available in Europe - but that’s another ball-of-wax - and just requires a vpn to connect,…
      • I am not sure if I can suggest that - but just mentioning it - to get it out of the way - It’s not illegal
    • It might be best to also ask Apple “why” it’s removed,… security or some other item might be the reason - unsure,…
    • Some “alternatives”,…
    • Quine by Chris Hunt
  • Good luck and I would suggest finding out “why” it was removed (if possible) from Apple or the developer

Good luck and Welcome!

TwN00b

I don’t use iOS anymore except on a infrequent iPod touch, it there a way to obtain apps outside the app store? On android access to the apk file can allow installation.

Over time all the app stores may purge apps that have not being updated and republished to new feature and security updates.

See what Chris, the developer of Quine, wrote on Google Groups on June 25, 2024:
“I’ve been resurrecting my Quine 3 project and getting it ready for Swift 6.0. The most recent WWDC was heartening in many ways, most especially because a lot of the core iOS plumbing didn’t change much, instead stabilizing after a handful of big jumps over the past few years. I’ve been hoping for such because it gets exhausting having to refactor my core code year after year. Quine 3 is a major rewrite onto libraries I’ve been using for a couple of years on other projects, I started it in 2021 so there is work to do, but it at least feels durable as well as current from a coding perspective.”

It appears Quine 3 will be coming on Apple Store shortly

3 Likes

If you can get an .IPA file, you can install it via 3rd party priate store like http://www.3u.com/ or https://www.i4.cn/

I will release TidGi Mobile app on iOS in this way, so I don’t need to pay for Apple .inc for publishing an Opensource App.

1 Like

Hi - Chris@Quine here. Thanks for the heads-up - it seems that my developer license failed to renew at the start of August, and without any kind of notification, so I’m in the process of getting that fixed. The probable cause is that I am working out of the UK right now. Hopefully no more than a few hours for it to be resolved and to get Quine back on line. I’ll report back here once it clears. Sorry for the inconvenience :frowning:

FYI Quine 2.5.3 is in beta - I’ll probably release it shortly.

And Quine 3 is well underway, targets iOS 18, no promises on time-line yet, though it is progressing well and will accelerate once the dev tools for iOS 18 move out of beta.

Chris.

6 Likes

Apple is very errogant to developers!

Thanks Chris! (@Quine ) - for the update - and yeah - Quine is a great tool for using TiddlyWiki.

Also - Welcome to the forum!

• Note: I use Quine on my iPad - mainly - when I just need to search for items - since entering text is a bit difficult - since iOS like to auto-correct everything - (tiddlers and auto-correct - - - I am still looking for a solution to this,…)
  • Maybe you can consider adding an option in Quine - to not auto-correct? (This makes text entry smoother,…) - but I digress,…

Apple is - well - Apple,… (enough said.)

TwN00b

Update - I’m back up and running after the dev license problem and I am told that Quine 2 will resurface in the AppStore quickly.

Thanks much for the functional requirement inputs - I’m taking them onboard. I’m hoping for a day of testing on Quine 2.3.5 tomorrow - it includes the most recent TiddlyWiki v5.3.5 for New Wikis, and some minor bug fixes. Beyond that I’ll be doubling down on Quine 3.

4 Likes

Confirmed - Quine 2 is live again.

If anyone is interested in beta testing Quine 2.3.5 (updated to provide the TW5.3.5 Empty.html) please let me know. Quine 2.3.6 will follow right behind and needs beta testers too - featuring already completed bug fixes, and possibly iOS 18 updates, once iOS 18 beta stabilizes.

Hi @Quine - I don’t see it in the App Store - (Apple),…

For Beta Testing - sure - I have DropBox on my iPad M2 - and can help you test.

• Just let me know what you want tested and how to let you know of results,…

Thanks,
TwN00b