Proposed new font stacks for TW core

It has been pointed out by @markkerrigan (Use of Courier in vanilla theme) that the current monospace font stack results in a rather poorly readable variant of Courier being used for code blocks on Chrome (and its derivatives) on Android.

Following the discussion, I have made a draft PR Update font stacks by mateuszwilczek · Pull Request #8628 · TiddlyWiki/TiddlyWiki5 (github.com) that updates the font stacks for both normal and monospace text to the same stacks that GitHubs web interface uses. The current stacks were also based on GitHub’s a couple of years ago.

I made a demo where both font stacks can be appreciated next to each other in a single wiki: https://font-stacks.tiddlyhost.com/

I would appreciate comments and testing the new proposed font stacks on various browsers and operating systems, particularly Apple ecosystem and Linux, as I was able to test these only superficially on selected configurations.
From my tests, the biggest change is that a much more readable font is used on Chrome/Android. There are minor changes on iOS and Fedora too. Other platforms that I have tested (various browsers on Windows, Firefox/Android, Chrome/macOS) look the same.

Chrome on Android:

Chrome on iOS:

Chrome or Firefox on Fedora VM:

4 Likes

Win Brave (Chrome) - in your demo wiki, couldn’t discern any difference between the two, so I copy pasted them into a graphics editor, overlapping and added semitransparency on the top one… and, right, no difference whatsoever (except their headlines “New” vs “Current”):

It is very likely, that you will not see any difference at all. I did try FireFox and Edge on Windows 11. There is no difference between font-stack.tiddlyhost.com and tiddlywiki.com

Both browsers use Consolas for code as “rendered” font for both versions.

So the problem seems to be very specific to Android based Chrome browsers.

I did not test Chrome, because it’s not installed.

1 Like

Just wanted to note for those who may not have seen Github, this PR has been merged and approved.

Also the addition of Noto Sans instead of Nimbus Sans for the default font family was also included in the PR.

Thank you @vilc for making this happen. For some more context, on Android I am using Tiddloid so it uses the Chrome browser by default.

3 Likes