Proposal: TOC-macros Rewrite using IF, Functions and Procedures (+new fuctionality)

I did just update and basically rewrite all the toc-macros with functions, procedures and the conditional if function.

I think the code is much more approachable now, since there should be no weird “inverse logic” anymore. I did eliminate all the emptyMessage stuff, which is super hard to debug because of the “twisting logic” it requires (most of the time ;).

With the new code it’s easy to create a new function, that will expand all the branches with 1 button and 1 new “useGlobalState” variable. It’s usable for small tocs, with may be 100 tiddlers open at the same time. But at tw-com it fails, because it opens 1000++ of elements and users will loose the context.

So I’ll try to implement a version, that allows us to expand from a “level 1” link and not from the root.

More experiments are needed. I hope I’ll be able to publish a “preview” this weekend.

have fun!
mario

4 Likes

Wow! Excellent. Thank you. This is very exciting :slight_smile:

Mario I am keen to add a couple of things to the standard TOC so as you approach completion could you consider them?

• For each node in the tree if it contains a condition field use that to determine if that node (and thus its children are to be displayed)
  • For each node in the tree if it contains a child-filter use that not the tags to list the children, then for the children use their condition/child filter or return to the tag method.

In both cases if the fieldnames default but can be overridden eg condition/toc-condition or child-filter/toc-child-filter

• A condition could hide a branch of items such as when in read-only mode
  • A child-filter could list incomplete todo items in oldest first order
    • Or allow listing with a completely different filter to the TOC

If you dont find the WHY “self evident” let me know and I will put the full argument.

I think that makes sense. We already do have a toc-link: yes/no option, which allows us to disable linking to those tiddlers.

I can think of a toc-exclude filter-field, which removes the (1) item. It would be similar to the exclude macro-parameter, which is global. So IMO it’s a more fine-grained version of exclude

If there is toc-exclude, IMO a toc-include filter-field would make sense too.

I think both of them could be implemented as ´[subfilter{!!fieldName}]´ – Not sure how complex the new filter string will be. Some experiments needed, but I could see the usecases.

At the moment I think toc-exclude will take precedence. So the pseudocode workflow will be:

• [tag<tag>] filter will be evaluated first - then
  • [subfilter<toc-include>] filter will be able to add new elements - then
  • -[subfilter<toc-exclude>] filter will remove elements again

IMO toc-exclude: yes should be a possibility for -[subfilter<currentTiddler>], which will remove the possibillity to exclude a tiddler with the title: yes. Not sure about this one. What do you think?

With this mechanism toc-exclude will be able to remove / hide everything if needed.

Show some code for experimenting
<$let
	myFilter="[tag[one]]"
	toc-exclude-yes="[<currentTiddler>]"
	toc-exclude="asdf"
	toc-include="[tag[test]]"

toc-exclude={{{ [<toc-exclude>match[yes]then<toc-exclude-yes>else<toc-exclude>] }}}
>

<$list filter="[subfilter<myFilter>] [subfilter<toc-include>] -[subfilter<toc-exclude>]"/>

just some thoughts.
-m

• I have done a suit of POC examples on conditions I may one day argue be added to the core for toc, tabs, toolbars, even tags and view template items over here https://conditional-elements.tiddlyhost.com
  • However I still feel there may be even better ways with custom operators rather than subfilter, in many ways they are the same.
  • I totally agree in this order, then include can be an even bugger or sophisticated filter.

In your code examples you are primarily setting variables to filter, but I am also keen to set the fieldnames to be used and place exceptions in this fieldnames so every node can be different.

• Also have a look at my design-mode condition to toggle multiple conditions output.

TLDR; Jump to Anyway at the end :wink:

Yes, that’s just to play around with some variables to test the filter commands in a simple setting, where I have control over everything. That’s basically a test-bench to develop filter strings.

I think having different field-names, that can contain filters is overkill. It will increase the complexity exponentially.

As I wrote: TOCs are recursive. So eg:

• If I do have 2 new tiddlers named: aaa and [[b b]] - both only tagged with: aaa and
  • Tiddler FirstOne gets a field: toc-include: [tag[aaa]] the outputted toc will look like this:

That is the equivalent of aaa being tagged: FirstOne instead.

Anyway. In the way it is implemented at the moment, you could use the following code, which would read the filter string from toc-xxx instead. I think, that should be flexible enough, in a “probably” backwards compatible way.

\function tf.toc-include() [<currentTiddler>get[toc-xxx]]

<div class="tc-table-of-contents">
<<toc "Contents">>
</div>

Not at all.

I may leave all my TOC as is, but now under each project I may list task to be done. Adopt a system so exceptions are trivial.

But it does not matter I can make my own TOC macro, I just think it would be a winner. For example each user could have their own TOC branch. Thats only one exception for each user.

@TW_Tones – I did just upload a working POC to GH: Work In Progress - Toc v5.3.x rewrite by pmario · Pull Request #7961 · Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5 · GitHub

Important: Read the info at GH. Only the toc macros uses the new fields atm.

<<toc "Contents">>
</div>

If something does not work please post at GitHub. This thread should “stay” as a general discussion about the possibilities. Issues should be posted at GH

There is one feature I would love to have built-in to the TOCs: Differential sorting. AFAICT, there is only one sort at a time for the TOC. I would love it if, for instance, when I have a list of Person tiddlers nested somewhere in my TOC, I could sort them by last-name then first-name, rather than the default alphabetic sort running in the rest of the TOC.

I’m not sure where the configuration for this would belong: Does the Person tag have a toc-sort property that might be fed to sortsub? Or does the call to the TOC macro include a sort-Person property? While I slightly prefer the latter, spaces in the tag name would take some special handling.

@pmario: I don’t know if this would fit at all with what you’re doing, which I think is more focused on modernizing the TOC code than adding features. But it’s something I would love to have!

@pmario excellent work rewriting these to a much more readable and “modern” code layout, especially given all the “inherited features”

• It does need extensive testing and I do hope to spend time on it.
  • It may very well make it easier for people to understand in future, although is is packed with features and complexity as a result.

As we say in Australia

Bloody good work, mate!

Notes:

• I really appreciate the use of fields within the toc nodes and while I fully support the concept of include and exclude fields/filters;
  • I am still not sure how to replicate the behaviours I intended for the condition and child-filter fields, I can see how we may effectively do this but it is a little more cognitively challenging dealing with includes and excludes.
    • Perhaps you could write a paragraph on each to say how?
  • The code patterns we (you in particular) establish now, in the TOC macro, will of course be translated into all the toc macros so its worth a robust discussion now.

Avoiding a lost opportunity

• About the condition possibly toc-condition field, Please note, I did not expect you to follow my link to https://conditional-elements.tiddlyhost.com/ before, because I know its a rabbit hole, however it is more important now. I have done considerable work to look at introducing the condition field, (already present in my design) for editor toolbar buttons, tabs/toolbars/tags and the last step was the TOC you are now working on.
    • I think there is a strong argument to continue with this code pattern already found in the editor toolbar buttons, to these other aspects of the core and into the TOC macros.
    • This condition field can be in addition to you current proposals, as could the child-filter (by any other name) toc-children. the key difference being they replace the normal behaviour when encountered.
    • I have written such code primarily in the filters, and happy to help.
  • Using the condition for tiddlers with a given tag, I hope to introduce a condition to the iteration of $:/tags/ViewTemplate* tags and $:/tags/EditTemplate tag.

This should be able to be done, adding a sort, within the optional fields on a node within the TOC, it may be achievable in the proposed toc-include and toc-exclude.

• This is one reason I favoured a field that replaces the standard toc filter eg [tag<currentTiddler>] with the a “child-filter” for specific nodes (ie not via include and exclude)
    *This would allow the easy addition of sort operator, perhaps even sortby.

Are you saying that this feature should already be available in TW, or that it is something that could reasonably be added?

• There is a sort parameter in the current Table-of-Contents Macros but I belive this applied to the whole TOC, see below
  • It is something you may be able to do with @pmario TOC macro rewrites discussed here.
  • It is definitely something that could easily be done with the code pattern above I am promoting.

The current toc macros

tag
The root tag that identifies the top level of the tree

sort
An optional extra filter step, e.g. sort[title]

These two parameters are combined into a single filter expression like this: [tag[$tag$]$sort$]

• See how it involves including a sort “filter”?, you may be able “shoe horn” into the $sort$ parameter some kind of conditional alternative sort.
  • Needs some filter wizardry.

Yes, that’s for the entire TOC.

I hope to look at the code more carefully soon, but a casual glance didn’t show it as a possibility so far. I just didn’t know if it could be easily added.

I will have to read that more closely soon.

Thanks for the response!

I did rename your conditiontoc-exclude. That’s it.

• The easiest way to hide a node is set the toc-exclude: yes. It will be hidden

• If you want to hide a branch if the “read-only-mode” tiddler contains yes, you can do this:
    toc-exclude: [{read-only-mode}match[yes]then<currentTiddler>]

If I did understand your 2 points above right, that’s as you described your “condition” field.

I did rename “child-filter” → toc-include

Using your todo example it will be: [tag[todo]!tag[done]sort[created]]

That’s already possible. Eg: Create the following tiddlers:

• “Contacts sorted by last name” – field: toc-include: [tag[person]sort[last-name]] – tagged: root

• “Contacts sorted by first name” – field: toc-include: [tag[person]sort[first-name]] – tagged: root

• pmario – fields: first-name: Mario, last-name:Pietsch – tagged: person

• Scott_Sauyet – fields: first-name:Scott, last-name: Sauyet – tagged: person

• test-contacts: as shown below

title: test-contacts

<<toc "root">>
</div>

That should do what you suggest.

As you can see, “Contacts sorted…” and “person” tiddlers are not connected by tags. They are indirectly connected by the toc-include filter, which contains [tag[person]]

OK, I think I see where we may be at variance;

• In your proposal we can invoke a TOC macro that includes this additional behaviour.
  • In my proposal the standard toc does as it always does, unless it comes across condition/child-filter or equivalent fieldname
    • ideally default or configured fieldnames
    • Thus we need only add such fields to a tiddler that appears in “any toc” for the behaviour to occur.

Another thing I am unclear on @pmario is this is driven by this list and filter as follows;

<$list filter=`[all[shadows+tiddlers]tag<tag>!has[draft.of]$(sort)$] [subfilter<tf.toc-include>] -[<tag>] -[subfilter<exclude>]`>
  • Does this not mean when crafting my include I have to craft my exclude to avoid both listing?
  • I appreciate the input to this filter is all tiddlers [all[shadows+tiddlers] which means exclusion is most likely in custom filters.
    *Unlike a “condition” field that replaces the filter above for all children, I will have to specifically rule back in tiddlers that are excluded by tag<tag>!has[draft.of]

The following is untested examples of the filter(s) additions I may have here;

The condition test

... :filter[subfilter{!!condition}else[true]]
  • if !!cdondition exists use it, otherwise make the first part of the filter result in true.

The child listing;

<$list 
   filter=`[subfilter{!!child-filter}] 
  :else[all[shadows+tiddlers]tag<tag>!has[draft.of]$(sort)$] [subfilter<tf.toc-include>] -[<tag>] -[subfilter<exclude>]`>
  • if child-filter has a value “on the current node” use it otherwise continue with your proposed filter.

Special note

Unlike your proposal setting the name of the fields tf.toc-include and toc-include I was thinking to provide the field names “condition” and “child-filter” as paramters, to the TOC macro with default set. I could then itterate the same toc using a different set of fieldnames, thus permitting different views of the same content (not unlike your method)

A result what ever is done.

It would be quite easy to update the current tiddlywiki TOC to have simplified and technical views, perhaps avoiding overwhelming new users, but providing a comprehensive TOC for learning or experienced users.

I think replacing the [all[shadows+tiddlers]tag<tag>!has[draft.of]$(sort)$] section in the toc-filters is against the nature of the TOC-macros. They are primarily tag based, because it’s easy to understand.

With the new toc-include field we only need 1 tag to start the mechanism. eg: root

Contacts → tagged: root … From there on you can entirely go with toc-include fields. As soon as users add an additional tag, the default behaviour kicks in – additionally.

• I only intend this alternative for specific nodes found in the tag tree, I am not replacing the default behaviour, this is just how we code the filter to do what I am looking for.

I am not currently questioning this tag based toc.

However I have come across many cases where the use of recursion is raised because people are not satisfied with only tag based TOC’s;

• Some of your own work like TocP illustrates this.
  • Sometimes they want a field based TOC or use an alternative tag field.

I have a knowledge based wiki containing a lot of plan language tiddler titles and currently use tags to organise them, I can drag the title from the TOC or a seperate index and drop the title onto any tiddler to tag it and thus including it in the toc/index.

• As this gets larger I would prefer to move these into an alternative tags field and retain tags for high level subjects that do not participate in the TOC hierarchy.

This suggests to me - a generic hierarchical list macro

Once a revised TOC is in place, what ever its features, maybe the very next thing to do is to provide tiddlywiki with a “generic hierarchical list macro” that includes many of the features discussed here, but driven by any filter(s) which user chooses.

• Although don’t get me wrong I really want these features in the built in TOC.

I could live with a new tagField macro parameter, similar to the one I did implement for the tag-picker macro, which is on halt atm. :confused:

I think the more functionality we add to the toc macros, the lower the possibility will be, to get it merged.

I did just push a new version

where all toc-macros should work now. If they do not work it’s probably a bug.

As some may know, I’m not a fan of “hidden information”.
So there are 2 new CSS classes assigned now, with which we can mark parents, that have hidden nodes.

• toc-item-included … is assigned to every element, that comes from toc-include filter
  • toc-item-excluded … is assigned to a “parent” node, that has any hidden child-nodes defined by a filter in the parent

There’s some CSS inline STYLE to play with:

<style>
.toc-item-included  > a,
.toc-item-included > .tc-toc-caption
{
  color: green;
}

.toc-item-included > button > svg {
  fill: green;
}

.toc-item-excluded > a,
.toc-item-excluded > .tc-toc-caption