Pre-release issue - <<currentTiddler>> macro not recognized in new journal title templating

Hello everyone, I seem to hit a snag configuring the new journal title template in pre-release. Looks like the currentTiddler macro is not recognized in that context, when creating a new journal tiddler from an existing tiddler.

Steps to reproduce:

1. navigate to https://tiddlywiki.com/prerelease/
  2. configure $:/config/NewJournal/Title to <<currentTiddler>> - YYYY-0MM-0DD(alternatively, through the Control Panel->Settings->Basic, set Title of new journal tiddlers to <<currentTiddler>> - YYYY-0MM-0DD
  3. navigate to an existing tiddler e.g. range Operator
  4. from the toolbar extended actions (arrow down), choose new journal here
  5. the title of the journal tiddler does not include the original tiddler title

The same steps in 5.1.23 work as expected.

Note: The macro appears to render correctly when viewing the $:/config/NewJournal/Titlesuggesting the issue is related to the new journal tiddler handling, however my brief inspection of the relevant wikitext code in $:/core/ui/Buttons/new-journal-here didn’t flag any differences

Thanks in advance!

Did you try this on the current version?

The “New Journal here Button” is designed to create a new Journal tiddlers using the various settings in the control panel just as the “New Journal Button” does, only “New Here” also tags it with the current tiddler.

When using the page Control “New Journal Button” there is no such thing as current tiddler. If you use <<currentTiddler>> it will/may break the new Journal button (not here).

New journals are nothing but a tiddler with a “journal title and the tag Journal” as in the settings. I suggest making your own “New here tiddler journal” button. By cloning the New here button you can still make use of the various value in the settings.

I may be wrong, but I think you are doing something it was not designed for.

@TW_Tones
Look here:

Read at the bottom of that tiddler

@Birthe I think your last reply should have mentioned @fastfreddy rather than me. I know how to create custom buttons, I suggested he does.

## Making a custom journal button

Or have I missed something?

Look at Birthe’s link. Scroll to the bottom. “New Journal Here” tags and supports <<currentTiddler>>. Or at least that’s what the docs say.

Edit: Definitely works in 5.1.23.

On a related note, “Date Format” tiddler is broken in pre-release after the first line of the first table.

@TW_Tones
I was answering to your text - but may have misunderstood: If I did - it is really not clear what you meant.

Thanks @Mark_S I’ve fixed that, it should appear on the prerelease shortly.

1 Like

This is a bug introduced by the new date format tokens:

OK!

First;

We all know this, Only the “New Journal Here” will add the <<currentTiddler>> to the title, as the title in the sidebar as there is no current tiddler set.

and yes,

Yes I reproduced the error on prerelease however the button tiddlers are apparently not different to v5.1.23 except for a \whitespace trim

The tiddlers involved;

;$:/core/ui/Buttons/new-journal
:uses $:/core/ui/Actions/new-journal
;$:/core/ui/Buttons/new-journal-here

;Other
:$:/config/NewJournal/Title
:$:/config/NewJournal/Tags
:

Conclusion some side effect from another change is causing this bug.

in my experiments today, everything works as expected. I think other members of this community need to add @fast (@jeremyruston) in front of their names!!

Thanks much!
Associated commit https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/commit/59a53e695b28144f8f788469dad7865499d95d79

3 Likes