Popup from keyboard shortcut

hi all,
i have a question around the popupmechanism as the docs don’t fully explain what buttons do when their popup attribute is set. is there a full description of this mechanism somewhere so i could recreate it in a keyboard shortcut? it would seem a state tiddler is created (via the qualify macro) and its value is set to coordinates(??) for the popup. can i just <$action-setfield $tiddler=<<qualify tabNameHere>> text=coordinatesHere/> in a button? how do i get the expected value of the state tiddler to put there?

the full context: i am making a topbar, and i want to be able to toggle the tabs with a keyboard shortcut - i.e alt-1 for the first button, alt-2 for the second, etc. the tabs (as you can guess) use the popupmechanism to open/close.

For page global shortcuts you can have a look at the CTRL-L layout switcher

It’s a tiddler tagged: $:/tags/KeyboardShortcut and a field

• key: ((layout-switcher))
  • The text contains an action, which is activated with the shortcut.

If you have a closer look at the editor - toolbar - excise button, you’ll see how it works in the editor.

It has several fields. The important ones are:

• dropdown, which is the dropdown tiddler that should be shown
  • condition, which defines a filter, if the button is active. If the filter returns anything it is active
  • shortcuts: eg: ((excise)) … link to the docs
  • the other names should explain themself.

hope that helps
-mario

sorry if I wasn’t clear. i’ve made custom shortcuts before, what I wanted more info on was the popup mechanism and how to call it from a shortcut to pop up a window without using a button.