Plugin idea: Filter by tags "list generator" + choose which listitemtemplate

Hi everyone

I am wondering if there is a way to replicate a specific behavior in Dynalist, and maybe even build upon it.

Behavior in Dynalist (the TiddlyWiki toolmap is an example): I enter a hashtag in the search window, and the visible nodes filter down to only those nodes with the hashtag. Then I enter a second hashtag, and it narrows even further down to only those nodes with BOTH tags. In TiddlyWiki terms, it is the equivalent of creating <<list-links filter:"[!is[system]tag[A]tag[B]]">>.

That got me thinking, what if filtering by multiple tags were that easy to do in TiddlyWiki? It would look just like the act of tagging a tiddler does in edit mode: open a dialogue box and type in an input > the list of tags appears > type to filter > choose tag > repeat the process to add a second tag, etc, > then click a button “generate list” or somesuch, and a tiddler is created that displays the list of tiddlers with both (or all) of the tags chosen.

Then I got a second idea. What if there were a dropdown or a series of buttons from the sidebar that one could use to cycle through a list of custom listitemtemplates, so that one could view the list in different ways? What I mean is, one could select “Simple list of links”, “Title + transclusion”, “simple transclusion”, etc. It would be like the view options in Stroll, but for multiple tags.

You might object, “Dave, why not just type <<list-links filter:"[!is[system]tags[A]tags[B]]">>? Or use the list-search macro or the advanced search by filter?” My replies would be:

a) I could, but that is more work than just selecting two tags from an input box in the sidebar.
b) there are others who cannot do this and shouldn’t have to. It requires knowledge of filters, which new users don’t know.
c) the added idea of choosing between custom listitemtemplates opens up possibilities of creating a number of ways to view lists, and letting the user choose between them. There could even be a homepage with a growing list of custom listitemtemplates that users can add if they want.
d) And, now that I think of it, it would somewhat imitate the ‘supertags’ idea used in Tana. Quickly generating multiple views of data based on two or more tags.

This is not a request as in “I’ll pay you if you do this for me”. I am just saying this seems like it would be a great feature for a plugin. But is is far beyond my skills. So I am throwing it out there in case there is someone who would like to develop a plugin that does this. I would love to generate some discussion about this idea. Is it a good idea or a waste of time? Are there obstacles? Did I explain myself adequately? Are there other ideas that could build off of this idea? For example, similar dialogue boxes that help build things for new users that they couldn’t do on their own?

2 Likes

Yes things to do this year already, well at least for me.

I think these are inevitable if it helps, and I may be part of it :nerd_face:

1 Like

I think that’s related to: Can we make standard search a little smarter?

just to link this 2 topics

1 Like

Something like what you mention (combined tags filter) is in place here:

https://google-fonts.tiddlyhost.com/#tag%20filter

It would be easy to add a dropdown to choose the template with which to view results…

-Springer

3 Likes

Hi Springer

That is definitely a step in the right direction. Thank you! I was able to reproduce the top part (and adjust the filter to [tags[]!prefix[$:/]sort[title]]).

I imagine if I ever managed to learn the vars part, I could change the output and fix the incompatibilities.

But I am thinking that the top part would be more practical as a filterable list of tags like one finds in the edittemplate/tags. That way, the user can type to filter the tags to the desired tag. As it is presently, the more tags one adds, the more scrolling would be necessary to find the tag before clicking on it.

I shared a Google like search macro in the forum ( Advanced Search in Fields: The Next Step - Discussion - Talk TW (tiddlywiki.org)). It works like what you asked!

tags:A tags:B

produces results for [!is[system]tags[A]tags[B]]

or

tags:A -tags:B

or

title:A caption:Hello
1 Like

This is amazing Tiddlywiki! Thank you @Springer
It should be announced under showcase!

@DaveGifford
Just now I found this filter builder in Tiddlywiki XP - TiddlyWiki xp — A chance to experience TiddlyWiki very quickly

Thank you Mohammad, yes, it provides the precise search functionality by tags. Beautiful. I definitely want to install it and work with this for my uses.

Differences, though, from what I propose:

1. Several steps to get to it: Advanced search > Fields tab > Down arrow > uncheck ‘all’ > check ‘tags’ > start typing
  2. No easy filtering by clicking tag pills as one can in edittemplate/tags
  3. Can the results be rendered in different ways other than the table?
  4. I mentioned a button to generate the list as a separate tiddler. This would enable viewing and publishing the results without all the search ui elements.

Those are not criticisms of your search tool. It is awesome. It is just to say that what I envision is still quite different and for different purposes, and I still think it would be useful.

Wow, I had not seen this, eighty-first arunnbabu! Like Mohammad’s advanced search, this is also a great tool, and the “use” button gives a number of ways it can be used. It might be overwhelming for new users, but with just a change to the list template, this does exactly what I was asking for: Add tag. Add another tag. Run the filter or generate a list widget or other widgets. Thanks for pointing me to this.

Thanks Mohammad!

This google-fonts-for-tiddlywiki catalog/browsing site has benefitted from so many community tips and resources:

• Getting lorem ipsum (or your custom text!) to display in each font was made possible through generous coding help from @telumire
  • Font links display in their own fonts with the help of linkstyle by @twMat;
  • Your own Shiraz (@Mohammad) allows for multicolumn compact display and other neatness (and Commander behind the scenes has been essential for maintenance and troubleshooting)
  • @DaveGifford gave us “Toggle!” which I’ve tweaked to help users (and me) focus on only the font-tiddler elements we want to see. For example, if you want to print a few samples compactly…
  • Telmiger’s details widget has long been a staple of my sites (though Shiraz’s new callout-details solution is a powerful tool I’d recommend if I were starting again).
  • Andrew J Harrison’s favorites (not sure of ajh’s handle here, is at @Andrew ?) is there to let visitors “curate” a set for comparison.
  • @Charlie_Veniot helped with the logic for the combined tag-filter – the subject of this thread.

I’m probably missing others. Those are just the ones I happen to recall today. And If I made the site today, it would be much easier with cascades! :slight_smile:

-Springer

1 Like

I had started work on adding hackability to the use of list items templates in tiddlywiki, Making the list item template more hackable basically it would transclude a different template tiddler, if one has a particular tag.

• It should then be possible to add an interactive list item template selection.
  • I already have a dozen alternatives I can think of, but yes this is a good idea, I have just found introducing a defacto set of options a little hard the way the community works.
  • I will start to populate the following site https://listitems.tiddlyhost.com/ with List Item templates as I come across them, Submit some by a message.

Posted in Tiddlyhost a TW containing keatonlao’s Filter Builder macro as a separate TW (i.e., not the whole keatonlao’s TiddlyWiki XP which is mostly in Chinese). Some help tiddlers were roughly translated to English (not my cup of tea). This TW also includes Danielo’s Encrypt Tiddler and Mohammad’s Tiddler Commander plugins as these ones apparently complement the Filter Builder macro.

2 Likes

This reminds me very much of my TiddlyTools PowerSearch as well as the “FilterBuilder” panel in TiddlyTools Filters (press the hammer-and-screwdriver “tools” button to display the “FilterBuilder” panel).

2 Likes

Dave!
I mean the screenshot in the link I shared, the google like search!

1 Like