Playing with ChatGPT, what have you done for fun?

So, following the discussions about using GPT for TW things, I got admittedly a bit bored of the same nonfunctional code, and decided to test what other things it could do.

To my surprise, it makes for a wonderful Text-based rpg DM.

Any recommendations on what else could be done? I’m currently exploring a dilapidated city looking for what caused it’s ruination.

I’d like to hear more, if you’d like to elaborate on what you did. :no_mouth:

@Elijah, Sure thing!

So, while testing if explaining the features of TiddlyWiki to GPT and how they work would help it be able to properly understand create, and modify working widgets macros and the like, I took a little break to read about AI assisted blogs, and got the idea to make GPT run a D&D one shot, just to see if it would be able to.

Just a side note, originally I had planned to see if GPT would be a good fit for rewording and better explaining TW features, since documentation for have gotten a little left in the dust, but I’m still tinkering with that for the best results.

Anyways, the exact prompt I used was, “I want to play a text rpg, where you tell me what I see and I tell you what I choose to do, and then you tell me what happens, do you understand?”

The reason for this, is I found a few things that tend to improve the results for GPT is asking if it understands the task, setting rules and breaking things up into simple tasks.

Following what I asked, I told it the setting, about my character, et cetera.

From there, it was basic prompts, stuff like “You hear rustling in the bushes around you, and feel like you’re being watched, what do you do?”

I found that keeping a consistant format to how you respond gets better results as well, such as “This is verbal text for a character” (this is a thought my character has) and this is instructions on what I want it to do.

One last bit is, if it starts to narrate for you, ie tell you what you do without telling it what you decide to, either it is trying to wrap up the story, or has misunderstood, so you can tell it “pause” and explain what you do not like and what you would like instead, and it tends to fix it.

1 Like