Philosophy of Virtual Reality and the Metaverse

I am preparing a discussion with my Philosophy group on Virtual Reality and the Metaverse so I thought I would share a You tube from an Australian Philosopher David J Chalmers here

When we can simulate taking a headset off we are doomed.

1 Like

@Ste_W wrote: “When we can simulate taking a headset off we are doomed.”

That is weirdly over-compensating.

The Original and still best virtual reality is Lucid Dreaming.

It is certainly true Chalmers can think.

I really liked he could actually formulate the “Hard Problem Of Consciousness”.

What “virtual reality” is and isn’t is a serious emergent socio-cultural issue.

As a film buff I always taken by Steven Spielberg’s evolving takes on the subject … like …

MINORITY REPORTMinority Report (2002) Official Trailer #1 - Tom Cruise Sci-Fi Action Movie - YouTube

AIA.I. Artificial Intelligence - Official® Trailer [HD] - YouTube

READY PLAYER ONE … (likely the most astute) … READY PLAYER ONE - Official Trailer 1 [HD] - YouTube

Maybe it helps, TT

Often overlooked is the brilliance of the French director, long dead, but with huge foresight, Chris Marker, whose LA JETEE is a miracle of insight into moments …

TT

I listened to a podcast by Cal Newport last week, and he stated something along the lines of “Augmented Reality headsets is (pretty soon) going to massively disrupt the whole electronics industry”.

Phones, tvs, computers, smart watches, Playstations, everything is going to be replaced by a pair of AR headsets with enough “screen real estate”, enough bandwidth and cloud computing power (and when they’re socially acceptable). You can simulate everything in front of your eyes, so you don’t need any other physical gadgets.

He says Google, Amazon, Apple are pouring billions into AR, but Facebook is still clinging to its Metaverse, which I guess is like a revamped Second Life…?

If you liked the film, I can recommend the book. The story is not exactly the same.

1 Like

Yes. My belife is althougg VR development is very interesting and may revolutionize interactive entertainment and perhaps the worlds we can inhabit.

I expect Augmented reality to be the real boom especialy if it includes new interfaces to control it.

Sure. Thanks on your 2$ AUD per thingie.
Please sign the agreement.

But if you can’t be sure you have taken the headset off how will you know you are back?!?! :smiley:

I never ever wore a headset … nor neither I’t aint not knowing whatever, or neither nor, however I’m clever … Ian Dury - clevor trevor - YouTube

TT

More on dreams around the 18th minute, but interesting in other ways

Did People Used To Look Older?

You ever noticed spokespeople on those types of videos have far too much confidence?

The message of that was what?

"People used to look older. " When? How? Examples?

Wondering, TT

You have to watch it to answer those questions

He is a trusted source of mine

I watched it fully, and respectful of your respect for it.

So NO comment.

What an interesting coincidence. I was away from all forums for a few weeks. Today, I come back and one of the threads is about virtual reality.

The coincidence is that I read this article just this morning. It’s an interesting opinion.

I was a teenager when Tron of '82 was released and I do remember it was a weird movie that I loved because I love sci-fi.

1 Like

You got me interested in articulating more about “VR”.

I went back to what I know to recommend stuff to look at …

I would say that Slavoj Žižek, Slovenian philosopher, mainly writing in English, is a great resource for critical VR thinking.

Here is a quick overview … Zizek, "From Virtual Reality to the Virtualization of Reality," annotation by Devin Sandoz

The points being …

“the computer inscribes itself on our symbolic universe”

“The computer’s self-referentiality remains on the level of bad infinity in that it cannot reach any position of turnaround where it begins to change into its own other”

Best, TT

Thanks @TiddlyTweeter for these references I will read soon.

One thought that has transpired from looking at this subject is the “Real World” appears to demand what occurs in it to obey the laws of nature. They were set and remain in place at least in the current state of the universe.

However as we know the different Virtual Realities have their own “Physics Engines” and other laws, but the fact is these laws will be bent for profit, advertising and other good or bad purposes. This means in a “Commercial” Virtual reality you can not rely on its laws remaining consistent as new releases and updates . In fact such realities can experience what the individual may call “arbitrary changes”, that is the laws of these worlds can change without notice or advice, and driven by other parties motivations, basically you can not trust the laws in Virtual Realities and the application of science within these realities is a nonsense. It is even possible for the laws within a Virtual reality to be applied differently to different parties so inequality can be introduce at the level of individuals and someone will control this inequality, un-like the real world where we must all share the universal laws of nature.