Paying for Discourse

This came up in the group so I thought I’d document it publicly:

Right now, I am paying for the costs of the forum. This includes a couple of things (everything in $USD, although I myself am in Canada).

A server at Digital Ocean. Right now it’s a $10/month server, with $5 of backup. It seems to be using about 15-20% of the CPU power, and all other resources (disk space, bandwidth) are relatively small.

Email sending services through Mailgun. I had to bump that up right away to a $35/month plan. We’ll know at the end of the month if we need to go up one more tier.

Jeremy is paying for the TiddlyWikiDotOrg domain name on an annual basis, which is used for a few other things and that’s usually about $10 annually, so consider that a negligible or included cost.

This is pretty reasonable for software / hosting costs. The big cost – think $50-$100USD per hour – would be technical people. I’ve set up several Discourse instances that I run, not because I’m an expert, but because the software (relatively speaking) is well optimized to install with some basic server skills.

And lastly but absolutely not least is management of the content. @pmario volunteered to make some SVG logos so he got handed admin/moderator status, and we asked @EricShulman to hold a set of keys once again.

The “trust level” system will gradually give heavy users permissions to edit tags and other settings over time as they use the system. It looks like we can setup per-category moderators – not just for plugins, but anything that might need a little clean up now and again, or new features like “cool TW of the week” or whatever the community decides.

Discourse is open source software, but there is a company behind it and they offer hosting. It starts at around $100USD / month, which will be close to what the total here is for the self hosted version. Less customization options and it may actually jump to that $300 monthly tier. If we can continue to have some volunteer server admin time (I’m looking for someone to specifically join the server admin team, please message me or comment!), then we can jointly maintain this at a lower cost and higher options for customizing to the needs of the community.

I think after month 1, we can have a look at usage and costs and see where things are at.

So, who pays over time? @clutterstack said it well:

I think everyone realizes by now that free isn’t really free, GG or otherwise.

Open Collective is part of the puzzle, I think. If 20 people pay $5 per month – costs are covered!*

*I set the goal at $150USD/month in the new Open Collective Infrastructure option, to give us a little buffer

It’s also in a state of transition from a Fission experiment to a community experiment. There’s a new TiddlyWiki Community Infrastructure option to clearly distinguish it from the previous Fission items. Don’t worry, especially those of you that recently starting contributing, the Fission bucket will also end up with community.

Again, with Open Collective – volunteers wanted! We need people to take ownership and make suggestions of what we might do. I haven’t had time to research what deleting donation tiers with existing people in it does, to turn off those Fission items.

Let’s keep discussing here in the forum, and let’s also do one or more community calls (across a couple of dates/timezones) in the coming month, to discuss and organize.

Can we enable monthly recurring payments via Paypal? It seems the fiscal host has to contact support to enable it:

The next step for this project is #4210, fiscal hosts currently need to contact support to enable PayPal. We would want to streamline that process, especially since this new integration now enables both PayPal payments and PayPal payouts with the same account.

Conveniently, the Fiscal Host is … me :slight_smile: I’ll look into it.

1 Like

I’m a little confused. The totals appeared to be $50/month. But the total suggested at the end was twice that. Does that assume switching to a fully supported Discourse server? Also a big chunk of the money (per the $50/month arrangement) is for email, a media a lot of us don’t regularly use, especially with forums. If a forum has the ability to keep a thread for ever, why would you clutter your own inbox?

So the upshot is that you need to convince at least 20 people to pay $5 a month for a slightly better forum experience. And not everyone agrees that it is a better forum experience.

I’m projecting out what is a reasonable cost basis for a community this size.

The server size will likely need to be increased and we’ll see where the email volume ends up. We’ll know more after month 1.

If the community wants to eg not have videos plastered with ads, a Vimeo account might be a good idea (that’s a FUTURE example but probably a good idea if people want to do more with video).

Boris,

Thanks for leading with this. I volunteer to act as an admin however you wish including help manage the server, fission, open collective etc… I know it is hard to accept volunteers for senior roles but this is easy if you build a separate forum for those to discuss the ongoing management. I have had volunteer’s in other systems and found it hard to convert them to actual admins. The best way is to trust long time contributors (I am one) and be a little more circumspect with more recent community members.

There is an argument to put the team into a private thread so they can discuss more difficult situations privately with out offending others, but when making decisions or calls ensure total transparency, and democracy wherever possible.

Finally if this were an application to act in such roles I would say a key practice that we need is to ensure volunteer’s do not end up with onerous or too much to do. Sometimes this is achieved by “letting go” of control and placing some trust into normal social mechanisms to self moderate where ever possible.

Part of this is to recruit para-admins, sometimes called champions, who don’t moderate, rather they educate users behaviour where needed. Quite a few of us already perform this role. Some people could be both champions and admins.

My Experience suggests most fears of bad behaviours, the need to moderate, limiting powers and features are not required. Sure some forums are toxic, but tiddlywiki has being a reliable and civil community for more than a decade now.

Regards
Tones

Can you explain this? Currently no one posts videos to the forum. They just post links to YouTube. Is this different on Discourse?

Thanks!

If the community is happy with YouTube, that’s fine. Paying for a Vimeo account means that the embeds don’t have ads or tracking. Just like backing up any other files or content, it may be important to make sure community contributions stay around.

There is a Discourse plugin that helps with uploading videos directly to the forum and then posting to YouTube or Vimeo. Here’s a video demo of the plugin in action.

So just think of it as a future option.

Hi @TW_Tones thanks for the offer.

We have one private category here for some of those discussions, so nice to keep it in one spot here.

I think that also besides “admin” – it’s more like, what should we do to improve X over time? Open Collective is a great example. I can’t decide what tiers, sponsorships, or special projects should go in there. So gathering a group of folks that are interested in tackling that, creating a dedicated group space here as needed, and so on.

Yes, I agree, I think the community has great discussions.

I’ll message you about server stuff.

1 Like

I am planning to connect with the open collective system myself, sponsor and provider but we are already coping with substantial change just with Discourse not to mention the upcoming 5.2.0

No need to pause progress to the Open collective, but consider not pushing too hard yet, we don’t want to generate change fatigue. I know when you are informed about such a solution it seems simple but this is not the case for the naïve. I have spent time going down this path in the past eg see this demo website http://colabteam.net/tiddlywiki (just an outline) and would love to contribute more, yet I am currently learning to be an expert in Discourse, and thus have a reduced bandwidth.

1 Like

Yep!

I’m trying to tease out suggestions of areas that people who see these discussions might feel inspired to lend a hand with, not necessarily point at you, Tones to volunteer for it all :wink:

Thanks for the discussion!

1 Like

I just started contributing to TiddlyWikiDotOrg - Open Collective which can underlie and fund Discourse and more. Will you?

hi @boris, would be happy to pinch-hit for the server admin team. embarrassed to say on iphoneos i can’t see the envelope icon on profiles to dm you. warmest wishes, maki

(edit) aha just realised the tip for beginners re: dms was referring to each user’s own profile rather than to the intended recipient’s profile!

I did try Vimeo some time (years) ago and was really disappointed. … Everything was restricted and burdensome to setup. … And it seems nothing has changed. I can’t even see the viedo without signing in. I don’t want to sign in. … So I can’t see the video … really?

I’m happy to click youtube videos and activate uBlock Origin in my browser to remove the adds.

That is not the case at all. Here are all the videos in the Fission account: https://vimeo.com/fission

Just an idea. No need to make a change if it works for people. I worry a lot about platform dependence. Video is a really tough one because not only of the storage, but the massive amounts of bandwidth. I don’t have any easy answers.

If you click the avatar of a user you should get the possibility to message the user. There is a big blue “Message” button right below the image.

thanks @pmario, i can see the blue message button now, but i believe it was not there for me when i tried seven hours ago — maybe it’s a permissions issue or lag in the system until new users can message

Yea. You are right, that may have happened. IMO it is bound to user trust level 1, which is the “Basic User” badge.

Thanks for bringing up the financials, I think this has always been a bit of a missing link with TiddlyWiki. TiddlyWiki has never been monetized or really accepted donations out of a concern that people would equate donation = support. Still I think the fiscal sponsorship relationship is a good way to accept donations because then the fiscal sponsor is charged with ensuring the monies are being spent on behalf of the community, for specific purposes. Open Collective makes this clear the funds are going towards the community.