Opening New Window and Editing fields

Hello all,

In an effort to improve my workflow, I’m trying to implement a button to edit certain fields of my tiddler without going into tiddler edit mode. I’m using a temp tiddler (whose name is prefixed with $:/temp/volatile) and several edit-text widgets to edit the fields and I’m opening this in a new window. This all works fine except for the fact that when I start typing, the edit-text widget loses focus after every key stroke. I’ve also noticed that the fonts used in the new window are not the same if the tiddler were opened normally. I’m new to the opening a new window thing so I’m thinking it’s got something to do with my lack of experience with it. (FYI - I’m using the tm-open-window message and a viewtemplate to display the edit-text widgets.)

Also, if I don’t use the the new window, but just open the tiddler normally, I see a loss of focus at very random intervals. Sometimes within a second or two and others several seconds later.

As an aside, I’m using the $:/temp/volatile because I’ve noticed that if I edit fields without this, the mainRefresh times are in the neighborhood of 500-600 ms. Using $:/temp/volatile, the mainRefresh times are less than 10 ms. Editing fields in tiddler edit mode isn’t affected by this and still has mainRefresh times in the several hundred ms range. This makes typing very slow. Does anyone have any thoughts on why editing fields would be so slow? I have a large TW nearing 12 MB and it has lots of tiddlers and fields.

Thanks in advance.

@HistoryBuff I must admit I am loosing track of these edit focus issues, especially since 5.2.0 was supposed to fix this for many cases yet I still see it occurring.

However the way the open in new window works it does not employ all the viewTemplate and other code on top of the tiddler, basically “open the text field in new window” would be more accurate, 90% of the time that may be fine.

new-windows.json (13.3 KB)

Try this package, it introduces two new buttons to a tiddler, one to open in new Window (With view Template applied, and edit in new window). It was designed a few versions ago but may contain code to address your current tissue.

On a related subject, As per the quicklist hack discussion, I have started exploring totally new ways to treat the content in tiddlers. I am currently exploring moving new views not only in the view template but into into the edit preview, and new window. Watch this space.

I think the key to solving your problem is to design a field edit template that you can apply just to the body. I will share something if I have the time.

G’day,

About edit text widget losing focus, I keep this in mind as a general rule (not entirely accurate, but easy to remember):

When a character gets typed into an edit text widget for some field, if there is anything open anywhere (story river, sidebar, anywhere at all) that gets refreshed upon any change to the tiddler field being edited.

To try and pinpoint the culprit, you might need to go through an elimination process.

Well, that’s a shot in the dark.