No, it's not April 1st, I checked

Only $200 - I MUST POSSESS!

Love how one of the articles sections is titled “Meeting the Book 8088: Everything is broken”

I was a computer enthusiast back at that time, but I have no interest going backwards for my personal computing device, however it does raise the question why the market is always trying to maximise things, when sometimes small is all you need, and usualy much cheaper. Sure we have rasberry Pi and arduinos etc… but you do need to take on a new platform or Operating system to use them.

• Most tech is expencive when it comes out then as new generations are release drops in price then before they get too cheap they are removed from the market.
  • Here is an example, a 64Mb USB thumb drive would be fine for a large TiddlyWiki and would cost 10’s of cents to make, but you can only buy them if someone “finds a box down the back”.
1 Like

There was a time (started in high school) influenced a lot by my friend but also the site Low End Mac where we became interested in collecting vintage Apple laptops and so forth, but also with this hobby, we were also doing National Novel Writing Month.

I bring all this up because for a long time we liked to see what sort of vintage computers we could use to write our novels on and all of the fun involved in trying to get your data back off. It’s based off the idea of having a “distraction-free” writing environment makes it easier to work in. But over time I find the headache of constantly trying to keep old and old computers running not really a productive use of time. That being said I still think it’s a fun hobby to try and use vintage tech. But if I’m actually going to try to do something productive, then I want to be on at least a computer with a browser that can run TiddlyWiki.

2 Likes