New Tiddlywiki Newsletter (Beta/Work-In-Progress)

I agree with both of you in principle! Meaning some kind of classificatory system would be helpful.

So what is my point?

Well, I guess, what are the categories / tags that are needed to achieve what you suggest?
A finite list I hope? Preferably settled in advance?
But then, deriving that is itself work and I don’t think we should lumber @PaulH with having to derive those all on his tod. :slight_smile:

Best wishes
TT

This is true but we must keep in mind the top classification on a newsletter is that of grouped by time.

Ideally the users should only see what they have “not read” unless they go looking for more. I have investigated the mechanism’s needed to do this previously.

1 Like

Thank you! This works great! I’ll be posting an update with this included later tonight.

Anything I use I’m trying to document and attribute appropriately. The site I think is yours doesn’t have this. Let me know where you’d like me to reference the source.

1 Like

No need to acknowledge. Perhaps keeping the tiddler with the $:/PSaT prefix is enought.

Godd work

My apologizes for the lag as I’ve largely been off-line for the last couple of days but I’m working to get caught up.

@telumire Has very kindly provided me with a .json and some great instructions on how to get RSS up and running. I had no idea where to start with that, thank you. Unfortunately, I likely won’t have that posted till Sunday night.

Categories/tags. So far… what I’m seeing falls into the following.

• News - Example @jeremyruston 's post about the update to tiddlywiki.com
  • Articles - Such as but not to be limited to blog posts or tech columns talking about tiddlywiki.
  • Plugins - New plugins, updates, etc.
  • Tips & Tricks - In other words or to also include things here on talk.tiddlywiki.org mark as a “Solution”.
  • Videos - While yes most video will be talking about one of the above I think having them all in their own category will be a smoother read. I will also tag them appropriate to what they are about.

I’m in no way locked into this list. I think after a few of months of staring at the content we’ll have a better idea. I will be updating the newsletter layout to group the items together as per their categories. If that doesn’t happen tonight should have it done this weekend.

Information Cutoff. I’m going to try to stick to the dates I put in each newsletter but I’m not sure as to the best way to make that clear. Right now I have, “Covers: insert date range” at the top of the newsletter. I feel like there is a better way I’m missing, so if anyone has any ideas or example please post.

I’m aware I missed a new plugin Sunday night and a new video which I will include in the next newsletter.

I’ve started work on a banner but I’ve run into something I can’t figure out. I can’t seem to get referencing an image in a single file tiddlywiki via a stylesheet to work. I tried using the datauri macro as per the documentation but couldn’t get it to work. Any advice/examples would be appreciated.

I’ll be posting an update tonight with some layout tweaks and changes including the alt-title-display from @TW_Tones . In the table of contents, you will also find “Wiki Files” listed. This is where I’m going to document how the newsletter wiki is put together and attribute sources for all the pieces. Most of us have learned from looking at others work, and I want to make this as transparent/easy as possible.

If I’ve missed anything I apologize. I will look over every link to examples mentioned above.

2 Likes

Perhaps Other categories of importance are;

I think the community would be really interested in a number of posts after a new tiddlywiki release addressing each item in the update.

• I think it sufficient to have a published/released date, people can see it covers everything since the last newsletter.
2 Likes

I’ve posted the update for tonight as discussed above. This weekend I’ll be working on getting the RSS feed working as per the instructions & files @Telumire provided and seeing if I can work out a banner.

Thank you again for the help, feedback, and discussion.

TiddlyWiki Newsletter — A Bi-Weekly Newsletter for the TiddlyWiki Community Last Updated: 8 Dec 2022 at 21:53 (tiddlyhost.com)

1 Like

I cleaned up a bit the setup and created a tiddlyhost demo with a rss feed, maybe use this version instead: https://rss.tiddlyhost.com/

I added a way to change the template used for the feed items, and reorganized the tiddlers a bit - other than that, it’s not that much different from what I sent you so it’s up to you what you choose to use ^^

2 Likes

I’ve posted the latest newsletter (https://tiddlywikinewsletter.tiddlyhost.com/).

Unfortunately, I have a batch of new error messages to work through related to me working on getting RSS working. I’m hoping to have it working and a banner for the next issue on 1 January (insert symbols of luck, optimism, and endless tinkering here).

4 Likes

Great start @PaulH, I must go and repackage my reimagine tags set to support my mention in the Newsletter :nerd_face:

1 Like

Did you try the instructions I sent you in your inbox ?

@telumire has helped me get the RSS working (insert grateful applause) and made a video showing folks how to set it up for themselves HERE !

5 Likes

This may be helping to get some idea, a roundup for Obsidian: roundup - Obsidian Roundup

How to suggest a post/solution in Talk to @PaulH to be included in next release of newsletter ?

Can we use a tag in Talk (@boris ) and Paul search for a certain date like past months in Talk? Or send a private message?

I think for the moment you can mention @PaulH here and he will see your message.

Maybe we should set up some kind of shared @Newsletter account that routes to the appropriate people – @admins would that be a group containing @PaulH and me?

2 Likes

I recommend we follow this route from the beginning otherwise @PaulH may have trouble going on Holiday or passing the effort to someone else.

• Also add a practice to tag items leading to published content
  • Ideally any reply could be tagged/flagged as possible content.

@Mohammad Thank you for asking about how to send me stuff for the newsletter. I do appreciate it.

I need to defer to @jeremyruston (see his post above) and the @admins for what is possible here or what those best practices might be because I don’t know.

Currently my process is everything from here goes to my Gmail account automatically which I only look at in the mornings (UTC-5) to help my own personal workflow. Then on newsletter day for me, first and third Sundays of the month, I look at everything based on date. In my experience using date searches on this site, the results can be far less than clear and using my email makes it more straightforward. I can NOT guarantee I will come to this page except on days I’m working on the newsletter, so if I don’t get back to you very quickly it’s not because I’m ignoring you.

1 Like

The Newsletter has gone out through Substack email and is up on Tiddlyhost but the rss feed doesn’t look like it’s working. I’ll try to get the rss feed working again later.

2 Likes

Is tiddlywiki newletter still updating?