Multiple Configurations To have separate mutliple instances of TiddlyDesktop

I want to have separate multiple instances of TiddlyDesktop, but I am getting nowhere with understanding what is required to set them up, trying to follow how to do it from the https://github.com/TiddlyWiki/TiddlyDesktop page!

I’m using Kubuntu Linux, along with FireFox browser. I have TiddlyDesktop installed but, I do not understand a word in the below statement github web page on setting up mutliple instances:

“Multiple Configurations
To have separate mutliple instances of TiddlyDesktop (for example, separate Personal and Professional instances), you can pass the --user-data-dir argument. e.g. /opt/TiddlyDesktop/nw --user-data-dir=/mnt/data/TiddlyWiki/config. The property should be a directory to use for holding configuration data.”

Maybe there’s a tutorial I could be directed to, to check out on how to do this? I have no idea what is being talked about here. I don’t understand what the “property” is, being talking about here, or what it’s means by “you can pass the --user-data-dir argument” it’s all over my head! hk

1 Like

Excuse if I’m suggesting something too simple for your needs. My TiddlyDesktop app can open any number of TiddlyWikis simultaneously, each in its own window. Why would one need to have more than one instance of the app running at the same time? It doesn’t require FireFox or any other browser to be open since it is itself a browser.

The instructions assume that you are launching TD from the command line. If your nw command (which launches TD, confusingly) was in /opt/TiddlyDesktop/ then you would launch TD:

opt/TiddlyDesktop/nw --user-data-dir=/mnt/data/TiddlyWiki/config

The ‘property’ is the part where you specify the path, /mnt/data/TiddlyWiki/config. Each new configuration should have a new path for TD to store it’s respective configurations in.

Thank you Gb7b5
Yes, so far TD works as you say but, if you want multiple configurations, then github says this:

Multiple Configurations
To have ““separate mutliple instances”” of TiddlyDesktop (for example, separate Personal and Professional instances), you can pass the --user-data-dir argument. e.g. /opt/TiddlyDesktop/nw --user-data-dir=/mnt/data/TiddlyWiki/config. The property should be a directory to use for holding configuration data.

It’s the ““separate multiple instances”” of TiddlyDesktop that I’m after. I have need for many ““separate multiple instances”” of TiddlyDesktop! Thank you for taking your time for my post!

Thank you Mark_S
Yes, I am launching from the command line using the “nw” command. The command line, a place where I live no more than is necessary!
I made the mistake of not asking for some examples, I think!

From your post where it states:

“If your nw command (which launches TD, confusingly) was in /opt/TiddlyDesktop/ then you would launch TD:”

The part where you state “was in /opt/TiddlyDesktop/”. Are you assuming that “/TiddlyDesktop/” is the directory where TD is located?

If your answer is yes, then I just got it! But, if not I need to find some examples of what I’m after.
My need for more Multiple Configurations, multiple instances of TiddlyDesktop is for hobbies, such as: fishing, travel, family, woodwork, metalwork. So, if I set up folders for each one and use their names in place of “/TiddlyDesktop/”, like /fishing/ that’s it>? Please say yes!

Yes, in that example. Your case may be different depending on how you installed and run.

Well, the configuration directory is pointed to by the --user-data-dir= option. So when you launch you might launch like:

/my/path/to/TD/nw --user-data-dir=/myWikis/fishing

Depending on which GUI you use for Linux, you can usually put this into a desktop icon (Gnome?) or a panel action (I3W) so you don’t have to remember to type the exact command each time.

Oh, thank you Mark_S!!
That’s what I needed!
Thank you so much, yes!