Missing tiddlers

HI ,

I can display missing tiddlers in a list using [all[missing]] , but is it possible to somehow create a list of where they were referenced in the first place

so if refrenced [[Tiddler B]] in Tiddler A , and Tiddler B does not exist , is there a way to know that it is mentioned in tiddler A

G’day,

The Relink Plugin (man, I love that plugin) is really helpful for that kind of thing:

{{{ [relink:references[Tiddler B]] }}}

If you would like a small little report.…

Code off the top of my head (AND TESTED):

<$list variable=missingTiddler filter="[all[missing]]">
<<missingTiddler>>:  <$text text={{{ [relink:references<missingTiddler>join[, ]] }}}/><br>
</$list>
2 Likes

Hi @paulgilbert2000

The “Missing” tab in the sidebar under the “More” tab contains a list of missing tiddlers. Clicking on one of the titles displays a dropdown menu of the tiddlers that reference that missing tiddler.

The code can be found in the shadow tiddler $:/core/ui/MoreSideBar/Missing.

4 Likes

thank you both for you help , got even more than i needed:)

G’day,

The Relink Plugin (man, I love that plugin) is really helpful for that kind of thing:

{{{ [relink:references[Tiddler B]] }}}

If you would like a small little report.…

Code off the top of my head (AND TESTED):

<<missingTiddler>>:  <$text text={{{ [relink:references<missingTiddler>join[, ]] }}}/><br>
</$list>

@Charlie_Veniot was a little hasty in my response but are you sure it works , it looks right but doesn’t work for me

Yup, it works on my TiddlyWiki instance that has the Relink plugin.

Sanity test number 2, for the proof in the pudding screenshot:

Thanks Charlie,

well thats quite the puzzle, this is a brand new instance with only the relink plugin installed , and still returns random results

https://fellow-carver-19.tiddlyhost.com

The latest version of Relink with the latest version of TiddlyWiki, something is broken.

An older version of Relink with older version of TiddlyWiki: no problem.

Works with the BAM TiddlyWiki Instance.

• BAM TiddlyWiki is version 5.2.3, and Relink is version 1.10.3

Works with the latest version of TiddlyWiki empty.html and Relink version 1.10.3

So something at some point in Relink changed for the solution I gave (which works for me) to not work, or there is an incompatibility between latest version of Relink and latest version of TiddlyWiki.

If you don’t need all of the latest goodies in Relink, grab the version I use in BAM (and in all of my TiddlyWiki instances.)

I suspect something changed in Relink 2.3.1 (or since some version after 1.10.3) to break that tidy little solution of mine.

PROBLEM FOUND.

New versions of Relink do things a little differently:

<<missingTiddler>>:  <$text text={{{ [relink:backreferences<missingTiddler>join[, ]] }}}/><br>
</$list>

In my older version, the filter uses the keyword “references”.

In the latest version of Relink, and maybe others, the filter needs to use the keyword “backreferences”.

1 Like

yep both of your solutions work for me now depending on the version of relink being used

Thanks again for your help :slight_smile:

I often tell people: I’ve got the reflexes of a sloth.

I also often tell people: to look at me, you may think the hamster is dead, but the wheel is always spinning.

And sometimes I surprise myself: I somehow immediately knew what to look for and where to look. So the wheel sometimes spins furiously fast and in the right direction.

Huh …

Good times !

1 Like

I never noticed that till you shared it, or perhaps I forgot.

To summarise something about Missing tiddlers, the way TiddlyWiki works and handles titles, despite being missing (no matching tiddler exists), we can find missing tiddlers “backlinks” or “Tagging” other tiddlers.

• These extra details can be seen in the info for a missing tiddler opened in the story river.
  • The same information can be identified using filters as seen in backlinks and tags
  • Further if you have the relink plugin installed there is also a “relink references” tab in the info view. With the added advantage of showing other references to the missing tiddler according to how relink is configured.

Conclusion
As you can see even a missing tiddler has information about it available so is it really missing if it can be found? I am collecting a deep understanding of missing tiddlers because we can use this extra information in a range of novel ways including;

• Using this information when creating tiddlers from missing tiddlers. That is we know where they are mentioned which allows us to infer different things, for example we can also interrogate the tiddler in which they are mentioned to get more information.
  • Modifying the default link mechanism to allow us to create a missing tiddler according to a user selected option.
  • Using missing tiddlers as a valid mechanism for storing information and relationships.
1 Like

Thanks Tony for the extra info, sound pretty cool , a bit too advanced for me though :slight_smile: but i will look into it

Please dont kill me:) , but is there a way to retain the hyper link in the missing reference , it seems
[all[missing]] on its own lists the missing tiddlers hyper linked, but putting them in any type of variable , losses the link

again sorry for comming back again ,hope you have the answer

thank you

I’m not sure what you mean by “putting them in any type of variable”

One thing that works fine is this longer way of invoking missing tiddlers with use of a list-widget variable…

<$list filter="[all[missing]]" variable="missing-title">
@@<<missing-title>>@@: {{{ [<missing-title>backlinks[]] }}}<br>
</$list>

Can you give an example?

Do you mean if you use [[http://tiddlywiki.com]] there is no missing tiddler called http://tiddlywiki.com ?

You may need to rebuild the link {{{ [<variable>addprefix[http://]] }}}

such as in

<a href={{{ [<variable>addprefix[http://]] }}} target="_blank"><<variable>></a>

Thank you ,

and sorry for not being clear , what i mean is that using just the filter returns the results as such

as you can see the missingtiddler is in a link format , which allows you to click on it and create it quickly

what i was trying to say is that once this filter was used as a variable , or in a set widget or anything, the results loose this “link” quality to them and become plain text .

i hope i am make a bit more sense now

The default “template” when the list is empty works;
but yes,

<$list filter="[all[missing]]">

</$list>

Yes, When using a variable if the tiddler title is using camelcase such as TiddlyWiki it will become a link, if not though it will be text.

• To force it as a link with a variable name use the link widget.
<$list filter="[all[missing]]" variable=missing-title>
   <$link to=<<missing-title>>/><br>
</$list>
1 Like

Thanks Tones

that did the trick