Meta, why do we so often get intrusive irrelevant notices on edit?

Constantly on Discourse I get messages when editing that are: (1) Inaccurate; (2) Irrelevant … DO we need them in any way?
If so, why?

Here are just 2 examples of totally irrelevant “advice” …

No, it hadn’t.

No, it isn’t.

These kind of messages are not helpful IMO.
WHY have them at all?

Best wishes
TT

1 Like

I can only replicate this info box, if I reply to a post, that has been marked as solved. … Since only the author of a post can set this mark. … It is solved for the system. … So I think the info is legit.

and

It’s easy to ignore it. – press the ESC key –

The second info box also pops up, from time to time if I type something. … Sometimes I do read the info and even open a post. So they are not always irrelevant.

Some time ago I wanted to open a new thread, just to see, that someone else already created a similar one. … So it was enough for me to join that conversation. …

I think, these info boxes can help to avoid “duplicates” … We just don’t have enough posts in our database to see the advantage. At the moment there may be “false positives”. … We will see if that changes over time.

If I think – I don’t care – while I’m typing, I hit ESC – That’s it – message gone. – I can continue typing. I’ll probably loose 50ms … That’s not even worth to mention it.

1 Like

Ok caro I accept your points.

My OP point was I think these messages are ephemeral.

Though I do, on reflection, agree “This topic has been solved” is often relevant. But the other message referring to other posts looks like a “stab-in-the-dark”.

It is one of those things where someone else created a “system” who expects you to accept it.

I can live with it, but I don’t think it makes a lot of sense.

I’ll shut up on the issue.

TT

As I wrote. I also thought it is useless, until there was a situation, where it wasn’t …

So if I’m not in the mood for distraction, and I see a blue box on the corner of the eye. I just hit ESC while typing. … It is just 1 more click on the keyboard and it is gone. …

I did have a look at the forum settings, but I couldn’t find a setting, how to disable or change it. …

There are some settings, that seem to define the character limits in the title, that eg: activate the “duplication message” … But I don’t know exactly what they do. … It would be needed to check the official documentation or the source code. … But for me it’s not annoying enough to spend time to search for this info.

You can do the research and point me to a setting that may fix the problems. There may also be some reasoning in the discourse docs, why the info boxes exist at all.

It would be interesting to read that too, if someone else would invest the time to find it.

Right. I mean you are the “Man Who Can” … I’m just a mortal …

There are many aspects of Discourse that remain obscure IMO.

TBH I’m not sure they need fixing. BUT, I do think first use of Discourse is likely very confusing.

Just a comment, TT