Maintaining History of a Tiddler

Are there any good ways (a feature I missed, a plugin, a pattern of use) for tracking versions of a tiddler? I’ve had specific entries where it would have been handy to be able to track changes. I can think of two main ways to do it - either a naming convention (“My thing /v1”, “My thing /v2”) or tagging versions to a specific tiddler and using a field to order the versions, but was wondering if there was a more rigorous way.

Nice to see you back @michael1 the short answer to

There are no established standard ways to do this I am aware of, but many ways you can do it. Noteself which was a specific implementation did keep versions out of the box. I did make a “backup tiddler” button for my own work, and could again if asked.

Unless a solution tracks every change in every fieldname independently you will need to have a whole of tiddler, backup.

• It may not be practical other than for local files but there is a core plugin Save Trail: Automatically download modified tiddlers

Of course any “in wiki tiddler backup” solutions will also need maintenance.

I would think `$:/backups/tiddlernameVn" may be best to hide backups out of search/view. Of hide like Mohammad’s trash plugin does in a JSON tiddler.

Other possible features;

• Backup on demand or automatic setting
  • Restore setting
  • View backup N versions before
  • View Differences between current and other backups versions
  • Limit Backups to N versions?
  • Use tower of Hanoi?

Lets see what others have to say, otherwise try and state clearly the features you would like and perhaps I or the community can give you a solution.

Look at this discusion.

2 Likes

There is also the SaveTrail Plugin

https://tiddlywiki.com/#SaveTrail%20Plugin

2 Likes

Bingo! It does create a lot of outputs but it works very well.

Side comment, TT