Local server for Plantuml Widget

I was unhappy with Tobibeers Plantuml widget, because it uses the server at http://www.plantuml.com/plantuml to render Plantuml code, mostly I didn’t want to send out confidential data.
It was quite easy to change that by running the local Plantuml picoweb server by using the command
java -jar plantuml –picoweb:8000 from a commandline in the folder containing plantuml.jar (I’m on Windows, but this should apply to other OS).
Only change for the widget was changing the plantuml server address in $:/plugins/tobibeer/plantuml/utils.js from www.plantuml.com/plantuml to localhost:8000/plantuml

3 Likes

Is Plantuml simillar to draw.io ? There is a draw.io plugion on cpl.

2 Likes

They are quite similar, have a look: www.plantuml.com
Each has it’s advantages and disadvantages. I prefer Plantuml most of the time, because you describe the drawing in text format. Advantage: you can put it under version control, it can be included in automatic workflows and several more. Our company Confluence offers both, I use draw.io only if precise layout control is required. I have however several automatic processes which create documentation from source code or database schemas. Each to it’s use. If you are developing, there’s a Plantuml plugin for Vscode.

2 Likes