Listing publications with publication date?

Hi, please somebody could help?

Want make list of publications by publication date. Want sort of chronological overview of titles of the tiddlers about these publications. Every publications has its own tiddler
Have used always this format: YYYY/MM/DD when making documents in Pages and Word
How to make a tiddler that has that list? What to use a tag, custom field or …?

That tiddler displays a timeline of publications as it were.
Tried find out myself, but found only timeline macro using originating date of tiddler. Is irrelevant in my case, or so seems.
Hope make myself clear, beginner level.
Many thanks in advance!
PS, must work on Mac Mini M1 & iPad Pro with Quine.

Welcome to the community.

You may have a closer look at the Refnotes plugin: Refnotes 1.9.0 — references, citations, footnotes and abbreviations in Tiddlywiki

Hello @Tolko-iPadPro!

As noted by @pmario, there’s a whole plugin package designed around working with publications. If you expect to work with references and citations, refnotes is a great package!

From your question, I suspect that you may be fairly new to working with data in TiddlyWiki.

So, in addition to recommending refnotes, I’ll just spell out a quick answer to your direct question: yes, fields are the way to go.

The simplest solution then uses a list widget. It specifies a filter (which publications you want to include), and then for each one includes whatever field information you want to include about each one. You can add styling and additional details as desired.

If you’d like help walking through what that would look like with your data, I’m happy to help further.

You may want to get into the habit of using YYYY0MM0DD dates (so today is 20240603), simply because that format will integrate very well with TiddlyWiki’s own way of thinking about date-time information. But your format, with forward slashes, at least will sort easily.

UPDATE: Here’s a simple list within my bibliographic database (in tiddlywiki). It’s a filter-based list, sorted by date, with no extra bells and whistles.

The fields I’m using are the same ones used by refnotes (bibtex-title, bibtex-author, bibtex-publisher, etc.), and I’m using a “bibtex-year” field rather than a full date field. You can edit the list tiddler, and also check out the individual publication tiddlers, to see how the sorted list works: https://biblio-springer.tiddlyhost.com/#simple%20list%20of%20books

Keep in mind that of the month and day is not zero filled, like the format @Springer suggested it may not allow a simple sort. eg 2024/04/06 will sort correctly not 2024/4/6.

• A good rule is to convert dates to the tiddlywiki date stamp format
  • It is quite easy to make a tool to bulk convert existing dates, just ask if you need help.
1 Like