Linking refrenced tiddlers

HIi

is there a setting , or a plugin that automatically links referenced tiddlers

so if i have in the text field of tiddlerA the word “tiddlerB” ,and tiddler B exists

then the word “tiddlerB” gets automatically wrapped in square brackets

i am not even sure how practical this could be :slight_smile: but was just wondering if there is some functionality built around this…

thanks

The core plugin Freelinks works like that.

1 Like

Thanks tones,

but how do i switch it on or off ,or where can i locate the plugin, i cant seem to find it anywhere,

to me it seems like only camel cases are creating a link, which i guess is standard behavior that is configurable from the settings ,but i want the same behavior for lower case phrases

Freelinks is available through the official plugin library—click on “Get more plugins” in the Plugins settings tab.

Depending on the size of your wiki, it may affect performance somewhat. If this becomes an issue, IIRC it’s possible to hack it so that it only links certain categories of tiddlers.

Freelinks is part of the official plugin library. Go to the plugin section of the Control Panel, and find the “Get more plugins” button near the top.

1 Like

By the way, freelinks doesn’t technically do this. It makes a “virtual link” without affecting the actual text of the tiddler.

This is good if you want your original tiddlers to remain “unmarked” even while potential links (in view mode) appear or disappear dynamically, based on whether they have a target. (As etardiff notes, this dynamic process can be computation-intensive if you have a dense wiki!)

On the other hand, if you’re looking for a routine to go through and replace any string a with bracketed link (whenever there’s a tiddler title corresponding to it), that’s a different thing. I think someone may have built that too…

Thank you ,

it does what i want , only problem is i got an error , its not my first time ,and i usually abandon a plugin if the error perssists, is there an easy way to debug or trouble shoot this error to know where the problem is ?

Internal JavaScript Error

“Well, this is embarrassing. It is recommended that you restart TiddlyWiki by refreshing your browser
Uncaught NotFoundError: Failed to execute ‘insertBefore’ on ‘Node’: The node before which the new node is to be inserted is not a child of this node.”

Which 3rd party plugins do you use?

Hi

• kin-filter
  • hotzone
  • tiddlymap
  • topstoryview
  • visjs
  • datepicker
  • moment
  • edit-comptext
  • Advanced Performance
  • Core
  • Relink
  • Tiddler Commander
  • Todolist

Did you try the “freelink plugin” with an empty.html or with tiddlywiki.com?
There is no error. I did just test it.

First of all make a backup

1. Then you should disable all 3rd party plugins
  2. Import freelinks plugin
  3. then enable one 3rd party plugin
  4. save → reload
  5. go to 3. and repeat

The plugin that causes the conflict with the freelinks plugin can be reported here.

May be we’ll find the problem.
-m

1 Like

Thanks Mario,

i will do so and come back in a different thread

Free link highlights text that matches titles that exist. Outside freelinks only camel case or text in square brackets is recognized as a title. Some plugins may highlight a search string on the page but not make them into links.

• otherwise it is up to the author to indicate what is a title.