Link widget deficiency

If you add <$link to=“Tiddler A”/> in Tiddler B, and go to Tiddler A that has a viewtemplate showing backlinks to it, it will not show as a backlink. I consider this a serious deficiency. If you need to use a tooltip or CSS class for a link, you need to resort to a link widget. But any system of bi-directional links (for example, in Stroll, a viewtemplate showing a list of the backlinks), will be rendered incomplete because the links using the link widget will not be shown.

Why did I discover this? Because I was thinking about adding some CSS to distinguish types of backlinks, so that <$link to=“foo” class=“parent”/> and <$link to=“foo” class=“source”/> would render as a different font color than regular links. That way one could distinguish between different types of links - links to a tiddler considered a parent to the present tiddler, links to a tiddler that is a source, links to a project tiddler, etc.

I am not concerned so much for my use case, because there are easy workarounds. So please don’t address the use case in your replies. And I am not just thinking of a solution for Stroll, because Stroll is just one tool that uses backlinks. Again, ignore Stroll in your replies. The problem is wider than just Stroll.

Bi-directional links are an important feature of most note taking tools now. And linking is an important part of any wiki such as TiddlyWiki. So any defect that weakens backlinks is a problem for TiddlyWiki. My personal opinion is that the devs here should consider this deficiency, and find a way for all links to show up as links and backlinks in list widgets.

Thank you in advance for your consideration.

It worked for me on TiddlyWiki.com

title Tiddler A
text blank

title Tiddler B
text <$link to="Tiddler A" />

title Show Backlinks
Tags $:/tags/ViewTemplate
text

<$list filter="[<currentTiddler>backlinks[]unique[]]" variable=".">
These tiddlers link to {{!!title}}
<$list filter="[<currentTiddler>backlinks[]]">

</$list></$list>

The $LINK widget code you posted has the wrong double-quotes:

Yours: <$link to=“Tiddler B”/>
Mine: <$link to="Tiddler B"/>

Use straight quotes instead of curly

Hi Brian, I used regular double quotes. Probably TW talk changed them…

However, I went to Stroll to try out <$link to="Tiddler B"/> and it worked fine. So there is in fact no deficiency.

There must be something wrong with the filter I used in my use case today. D’oh! I will investigate…

Just for completeness

• The relink pluigin(s) are aware of these titles as well and will update their “references” if the original is renamed.
  • It is Discourse that replaces " " with “pretty” quotes unless inside code.

It’s a Discourse thing – annoying.