Link to open the control panel on a given tab

I am writing my own documentation inside my own TW. In many howtos, I would like to add links that directly open the target tab of the control panel instead of writing a serie of instructions like $:/ControlPanel => Info => Advanced => Tiddler Fields

How to do that for any given tab?

I haven’t actually tried this yet. Each tab definition has a state. Open the Control Panel tiddler. You should see a state on the tab macro as:

$:/state/tab-1749438307

This references the state, the currently active tab.

So, to automatically open a tab create a button with multiple actions.

First actions are to set the state tiddlers for each tab you want. Eg set the state tiddler above to:

$:/core/ui/ControlPanel/Info

And the last action is to navigate to the Control Panel tiddler.

1 Like

$:/ControlPanel => Info => Advanced => Tiddler Fields

Warning: It is a bit iffy to do this. I’ll give you the steps but consider that in order to show that tab, you’d also need to open all its parent tabs!

OK, you’ll probably want is a button that opens all those tabs - and also navigates to the controlpanel. To open a specific tab, is to set the state tiddler that its parent tab uses in its tabs macrocall to a specific value.

First off: Temporarily install a plugin that lets you easily go to the tiddler shown as a tab. I use my TabLinks plugin but @pmario made his own variant and I think it has gained more popularity, so you might want to search for it. It’s called link-to-tabs, or very similar. You can uninstall either when you’re done with the OP (…but they are very useful).

The parent tab for that specific tiddler you ask for is $:/core/ui/ControlPanel/Advanced and it contains the tabs macrocall:

<$macrocall $name="tabs" tabsList="[all[shadows+tiddlers]tag[$:/tags/ControlPanel/Advanced]!has[draft.of]]" default="$:/core/ui/ControlPanel/TiddlerFields" explicitState="$:/state/tab--959111941"/>
</div>

…i.e you can see that its state tiddler is “$:/state/tab–959111941”. Now… I wish I could say that this is the state tiddler you should set to hold the name of the desired child tiddler… but, for reasons I don’t understand, this is not always the case!

Instead: Note the name of the tiddler shown in the child tab and do an Advanced search for it. You’ll probably see two state tiddlers that contain this title in their text field. Experiment to see which one affects the tab, i.e simply change the content in the state tiddlers (e.g by adding an X to the end of the title it mentions in its text field) and see if there is suddenly no tab shown - then you know this is the state tiddler you are after.

…So, inside your button, you use one ActionSetFieldWidget for each state tiddler corresponding to each tab.

…and perhaps end with an action-navigate to go to the Controlpanel.

That’s it.

Did I mention it was iffy?

1 Like

@twMat This is helpful. The solution is indeed iffy and this would be too much work to get a small confort (memorizing the whole control panel will be faster :sweat_smile:), but I have now a clearer understanding of the mechanism.

Here is a reference to the link-to-tab plugin: Wikilabs Home — A home for: Plugins, Editions and Themes!

1 Like

Import the attachment into your wiki and you are good to go. It contains all the tiddlers needed in the story-list, so you can play with them.

have fun!
mario

navigate-the-control-panel.json (1.5 KB)

2 Likes