Let's brainstorm a name for the next version of TiddlyWiki

I would like to throw out “TidQuine” which, while a bit less attractive to say than TidWiki or TiddlyWiki, is true to what TiddlyWiki is, since a Quine is a program that creates itself, and a tid, well it’s tiddlers, or .tid segments, or tidbits!

If we want something Attractive namewise, we could go for Tid-Q? Just spitballing ideas to inspire others. (Or Q-Tids, as a play on words for Q-Tips)

Right. Nice-one. Descriptively accurate.

Quineness is a definite defining characteristic of TW.

It does capture a major aspect of it’s specialness — meaning it is a very rare example of a practical quine.

All we do with it occurs because of quines’ natures.

How well that can be understood more widely is a bit of a more complex issue — is “Quine” a segue or a dead-end in reception terms?

A comment, TT

1 Like

Sorry, I hate to sound negative, but I highly disagree with this choice.

1. Quine is just one more term we would need to define for people to even know what it means. And then THEY would need to explain it to their friends to get them on board. Tid is more than enough to have to explain.

2. It sounds, and is, nerdy and also sounds like a difficult, complex concept to anyone who doesn’t know what it is. Granted, most current users, myself included, skew toward the nerdy side. But part of the goal of rebranding is to make TiddlyWiki more appealing to the general public.

3. Tid-Q and its variants do not get rid of the problem, since the first thing new people will ask is “What does the Q stand for?”, so they will still get hit with the term quine before getting a chance to try the product out.

4. The term quine is an abstract concept that tells something about what TiddlyWiki technically is. But most people don’t need to know that TiddlyWiki “creates itself” on saving or refreshing or whenever it does that. See? I do not even know that myself. New people want to know what to do with it. What benefit it will give them. So there is very limited value that comes from using quine, compared to the drawbacks it brings.

Again, not trying to be a curmudgeon, and I value you and appreciate your contributing to the discussion. I am just trying to express my gut reaction and reasons.

6 Likes

What about ThinkChunks?

1. Short and memorable. Relatively easy to say. Kind of fun, actually.
  2. Gives a glimpse of what it is / is for.
  3. Tied to the mind, but not limited to notes.
  4. Chunks describes the essences of tiddlers - small pieces that you can use and assemble and relate to one another. The word chunks is not tied to size (large or small) or to one domain (it is a very general word)
  5. ThinkChunks is not taken, as far as I can tell.
  6. No embarrassing negative double meanings that I can think of. Even looked it up on Urban dictionary. And the word Think at the beginning would somewhat cancel any out if they should arise.
  7. Think and chunk are common enough words that users from other languages can look them up easily.
  8. Chunking in learning theory would be a very welcome term to have associated withTiddlyWiki - Chunking (psychology) - Wikipedia
2 Likes

Counterpoint: obsidian, logseq, dendron, joplin, even notion are all hugely popular, much more known than tiddlywiki and with strong wiki-like features, yet their name does not need to have the word “wiki” in it.

4 Likes

That’s true. I still think “wiki” helps, but thinking about it, it’s not necessary.

2 Likes

Think Chunks makes me think of :face_vomiting: I’m afraid (“blowing chunks”).

Sorry to lower the tone.…

1 Like

It’s a pity TWiki beat us to it…

To my eyes/ears the “Tiddler” word is less of a problem then “Tiddly”. Tiddly.* makes me think of tiddlywinks, but and is more “silly” to me than the use of the word “tiddler”, although I’ve always been confused as to why they nodes aren’t called “winks”.

I thought of “TildeWiki” (~Wiki ?) but that’s already a thing - GitHub - tildeinstitute/tildewiki: Memory-caching static blog/wiki server)

TidWiki is, the etymology is traceable, searches mainly work, and calling nodes “tids” works (not least in terms of the file extension for nodes in node.js). The fact that it’s a made up word is a bonus I think.

2 Likes

Right. Perhaps.

Yes. I do see.

The issue you don’t address so well is that what we have already (the “wiki” thing) is maybe, in the wild, also confusing from under-representation?

Meaning “wiki” no longer “gets” TW well enough?

I do agree “Quine” might be a long-shot.

In marketing terms some things work and others do not.
I don’t know any answer.

I just think the question remains valid on HOW to promo TW well.

A comment, TT

Interesting. Relevant. Why?

TT

That makes the name even more awesome! :slight_smile:

Lol! No. :slight_smile:

Next we’d have Chuck E. Cheese (from the author of the Atari computer system) … :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Kinda … though …

Is tid a real word?

t.i.d. (on prescription): Seen on a prescription, t.i.d. means three times a day. It is an abbreviation for “ter in die” which in Latin means three times a day. —

Actually TID has multiple meanings in English (obscure but real).

I think “tid” is fine even though it has a baggage (definition 2) legacy.

TT

1 Like

If we are abandoning Wiki in the name ( i don’t think we should ), this is my favorite name so far.

TidPool, where Tid stands for Tidbit

pros:
tidpool.[com|net|org] are all cheap
a tiddler was originally a fish so the logo could be the cat pawing at a pool of fish??
it sounds cute
compatible with .tid files

cons:
maybe too close to tidepool? google might assume you typod
TP is not the best abbreviation

1 Like

TidCapture - keeps the tid, emphasizes what it does.

Just reposting an old post by Jeremy in Google groups.

https://groups.google.com/g/tiddlywiki/c/ZVHqfQWr2uM/m/1a3O7FpzBgAJ

Trying to get somewhere from Notes…

NoteWorthy? NotesWorthy?

notesworthit?

Could be used to play off of Evergreen Notes: notes worth keeping and finding. The domain seems to be available too.

Looking at the name in all lowercase, the word sh!t keeps popping out at me. :sweat:

Maybe someone can think of another name in this direction.

Because to me the word “wiki” evoked the convenience with which the many wikipedia-like sites managed their own information, and so I wanted something similiar. But, as telumire pointed out, the word “wiki” is not necessary. I still think that keeping it could be useful, because I found TiddlyWiki like this.
But if there’s no “wiki” in the name, that shouldn’t be too much of a problem, after all it’s impossible to find a name that alone perfectly describes the countless things TiddlyWiki can do :wink:

3 Likes

So true!

The basic idea that I associate with “wiki” is the ease of flipping between reading and editing interfaces; if you’re seeing it, you can (in theory) edit it.

Continuity is on the side of TidWiki. Another benefit of TidWiki that I haven’t yet seen in this thread: it’s easier to say and hear (at least in English). “Tid” gets the emphasis.

(With TiddlyWiki, there’s an unconscious dilemma over how much to give secondary stress to the third syllable, because three unstressed syllables in a row are awkward and rare in English, particularly if none of those three can get smushed into a shwa, as we do quite REG-u-lər-ly.)

-Springer

1 Like

I have quietly read over many of the posts in this discussion. I like the term tidbit as a replacement for tiddler. That got me to google for an opposite word, as opposed to complimenting term. The only useful response I got was a term I do not use or familiar with: “Tome” (a large or scholarly book). I think of TiddlyWiki as a grand solution to a problem, not a small unit of something, ie. tiddly. In fact, ‘tiddly’ in British circles (and I only lived in England for 6 years), means “slightly drunk”; a state I never saw in a Brit. :slight_smile:

1 Like