Layout reordering problem

I have a weird problem where the rendered layout of a tiddler is not according to the order of the wiki text. It is kind of hard for me to replicate in a clean wiki as it has to do with some hacks I have. So trying my luck to see if I can get an answer without one.

Consider this snippet from ElementWidget.render.prototype:

// Invoke the th-rendering-element hook
	var parseTreeNodes = $tw.hooks.invokeHook("th-rendering-element",null,this);
	this.isReplaced = !!parseTreeNodes;
	if(parseTreeNodes) {
		// Use the parse tree nodes provided by the hook
		this.makeChildWidgets(parseTreeNodes);
		this.renderChildren(this.parentDomNode,null);
		return;
	}
	// Make the child widgets
	this.makeChildWidgets();
	// Create the DOM node and render children
	var domNode = this.document.createElementNS(this.namespace,this.tag);
	this.assignAttributes(domNode,{excludeEventAttributes: true});
	parent.insertBefore(domNode,nextSibling);
	this.renderChildren(domNode,null);
	this.domNodes.push(domNode);

The parseTreeNodes can be replaced in a listener of the th-rendering-hook, but when it is the line this.domNodes.push(domNode) is not called. Can this cause a change of layout sometimes? In my case an element that should be below the one where the parseTreeNodes was replaced is rendered above it.

This is more something that belongs in the developer topic, with JavaScript a large number of community members canā€™t help you and you just scare them :nerd_face:

Not withstanding the above the first thing that comes to mind is one of your elements has different css been applied such as containing a ā€œpositionā€ or ā€œfloatā€.

• The trick here is to use the browser Dev tools and inspect to see what css is applied.
  • Sometimes one layout method causes erratic behaviour with another that is normally fine.

Moved to developers. Thanks.
The order changes in the HTML. One element appears before another

So I created a wiki to demonstrate the problem: https://weird-layout.tiddlyhost.com/

It has a plugin ā€˜deliciousā€™ and two tiddlers under $:/customization.

To see the problem, go to $:/AdvancedSearch, and under the Bookmarks tab, note the layout of the result and in particular, that the list of tags appears at the buttom. In the description input, delete a character. Note that the layout changed and now the tags are above the entry.

The extlinks.js under $:/customization/ listens to the th-renderering-element hook and then only clones parseTreeNodes, changes the element type and returns it. The other tiddler just handles this type.

All I can see is the order of the elements is hard coded yet they change order when the edit changes the description field in $:/AdvancedSearch, modifying this tiddler is not good practice.

• Fix that and see if you still have a problem.

I fixed the code to store the fields in a temporary tiddler. With that, the steps required to reconstruct the problem changed and are in the [[The Problem]] tiddler. The problem is still the same

The starting condition is different as is the result. I will have a look again and see if I can see anything that may cause this.

Although I am not looking at the JavaScript.

1 Like

This is a JS bug: [BUG] Node are not inserted correctly when the th-rendering-element hook returns an alternative parse tree node Ā· Issue #7503 Ā· Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5 Ā· GitHub

1 Like